• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to become a designer without going to school...

John Butto

Lets take a hypothetical instance and say we could put a modern man or women and an ancient person together.
For you twits an ancient is not someone who grew up with black and white TV.
You show them a scene that you what to depict through art. The modern would want to know how much they are being paid and what is their motivation, are they going to be recognized and get ahead. Plus where are their tools to work with, they cannot do this without aids, computer, brushes, paint or google. In the meantime the ancient has drawn what was asked by using what was available and not being influenced by someone before him or clip art or what is accepted or what is not.
Now I know there are a lot of variables in this but I feel you need to enjoy things that are not always accepted by others.
It does not matter if you went to school or not, if you do go to school, realize that once you have surpassed your teacher with talent it is time to quit. And if you have not gone to school and working for someone and you have reached a plateau it is also time to quit and move on.

trackvw

I think I am a much better designer than the art my hands can do :)

I can look at something and say that looks wrong , and normally why it looks wrong ,

But I am still learning to be an "artist" either Freehand or with a computer

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I knew this old guy when I was a kid out at the pool. He was a diving instructor/coach. He had many winners under his belt. I was on the swimming team so he didn't have much to do with me, but I watched the diving team practice a lot. Swimming practice was usually around 9am til 10 and diving was 10:15 til 11:30. I always hung around after practice and picked up a lot of pointers and corrections for my own use. This guy would show the guys and girls how to bend their knees and when to look over their head, spot the water and make an entry mark in their mind. It wasn't until someone said something to me about this coach never going in the water or participating by showing them how to do it. I found out.... the guy couldn't swim, let alone dive at all himself. He couldn't do square one, but he was a great technician, so don't tell me people can't be trained to do things, not do them and still be good. Well, you know what I mean............. :banghead:

Man, I miss those good old days at the pool...... moonlight swims, combos playing music, movie night, going out into the woods and watching the moon come up......... :rolleyes:

PRS Bryan

Imagine how complicated this conversation would be if some people learned more from structured schooling than others. Conversely others could more from experimentation and experience. What a mess

Lucky we don't have the individual designers learning style to consider, that would make it a real sticky wicket.