• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to break up text block in Illy?

GoodPeopleFlags

Is there a way to break up the text block in Illustrator? For example, you type in 3 lines of text and want to break them up into 3 separate things instead of all grouped together. Can you do that?
Thanks!

Rodi

Is there a way to break up the text block in Illustrator? For example, you type in 3 lines of text and want to break them up into 3 separate things instead of all grouped together. Can you do that?
Thanks!
Try saving as a PDF or EPS then reopen in Illy. Happens all the time, but when you need it to work it probably won't.

GoodPeopleFlags

Seems like alot of trouble. In Flexi, there's a "Break Apart" function under Type or Text. Just hoping Illy had something like that. Thanks!

iSign

copy and paste... but what I usually do is drag a copy (holding alt key... and shift to retain alignment) ...then repeat for a third line. At this point each copy has 3 lines... now delete the 2 undesired lines from each group... or a variation, if too much copy, highlight and CUT the undesired lines from the first group. Instead of clicking a new text path, I'll still drag a copy, and then highlight & paste... repeating this again as needed. I also get a lot of use out of minimizing my trips to the toolbar with my mouse... using the ctrl key to change to selection cursor for my select & drag functions, I can remain in the text tool for the entire process. One reason I use those dragged copies, instead of initiating a new text path, regardless of the last text I've entered, this ensures all the text specs stay constant.

signpro

Manager
to change text to outlines select text, then in the menus use
TEXT>CREATE OUTLINES

then SHIFT+CTRL+G to ungroup

now all the letters are seperate. if you want each line grouped at least (like i do)
drag a box through the entire top line of text, then
CTRL+G to group that line, repeat for lines 2 & 3

allstargraphics

TEXT>CREATE OUTLINES

now all the letters are seperate. if you want each line grouped at least (like i do)
+1 that's the best way to do it.

rdm01

TEXT>CREATE OUTLINES

The only problem is your text is no longer editable.

iSign

The only problem is your text is no longer editable.
takes longer too... not the "best way" by any means.
Break 'em up first, and you can still edit them, if you need to create outlines later, you can select all, create outlines to all... and they are all going to be grouped by text block already.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It is much easier in CorelDraw if these are the only options in Illy.

Ctr-k - break lines - still editable
Ctr-K again - break lines into editable single words
Ctr-k 3rd time - break words into editable single letters

Don't tell Doug.........

wayne k
guam usa

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
ummm...

Try "Flatten Transparency" and make sure the "CONVERT TEXT TO OUTLINES" is off... then ungroup and Bobs yer uncle...

Forgot to add that it's still editable text.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
ummm...

Try "Flatten Transparency" and make sure the "CONVERT TEXT TO OUTLINES" is off... then ungroup and Bobs yer uncle...

Forgot to add that it's still editable text.

There's the winner.
simple - fast

thanks

wayne k
guam usa

Malkin

Hmm, Illy 10 forces the "convert to outlines"

This would be pretty useful to know, I'll try it on CS2 when I get back to the shop.

iSign

Thanks Rick!
Just tested it out in CS4
(Malkin, you will be pleased to discover it works in CS2 as well)