• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to canvas frame videos

DizzyMarkus

Some time ago there were a few you tube links posted on how to make my own gallery wrap frames. They included how to cut/make the wood parts and install the canvas. Haven't had a chance to mess with canvas yet and think it may make a nice Christmas gift for my Moms :0) I searched google with some terms and signs101 -- it did not yield the results I was looking for.

thank you,
Markus

Suz

Markus, here is a thread that might help. Not sure if it is the one you were looki'n for:
Thread: Canvas Printing and Mounting on Stretch Bars.... Pricing?

I started making my own Gallery Wrap frames recently. I bought a small vintage Dremel Table Saw, and have been please with what I have been able to make with it. Must remember not to cut my fingers off!!! Not funny, but I try to be very aware of what I am doing and what the correct way of doing thins is whenever using power tools. Have been using them for years and I can actually frame a house myself, but I know I could also seriously injure myself.

Anyhow, if I could find frame bars that were as nice as the ones that I make and reasonably priced, I would buy them. However, I do not find the ready made bar prices reasonable. I'd rather make them myself.

Last edited:

DizzyMarkus

The thread had a link on how to cut your own bars :0) That one had all pre-made stretcher bars. I would like to make my own.

thank you and have a great Sunday,
Markus

Suz

The thread had a link on how to cut your own bars :0) That one had all pre-made stretcher bars. I would like to make my own.

thank you and have a great Sunday,
Markus

Markus,
I found it very helpful what Bob had to say in that thread about Brick molding. He suggested using the white primed finger joint molding. I tried that, worked well. But I took it a step further and made my own molding, ripped with a table saw. I made over 20 frames so far in various sizes, mostly 24" x 30" frames. They are pretty nice, very strong, my Customers so far have been impressed with them. Found some other threads too, somebody had posted a drawing or sketch of what the profile would look like on a molding you could cut yourself. I'm not sure if you want to take it that far, or just buy brick molding. But brick molding is something that will get you making some frames pretty quickly. You need a chop saw or mitre box, I'm sure you have those things or plan to get them. One of the things I do which helps me repeat my cuts and get the exact same length is to set up a stop block on my chop saw when I cut my molding to the desired size.

This was a good thread too: [h=1]Thread: gallery wrap materials[/h]Phototec had a good illustration of how to cut the bars, which is basically how I am doing mine.

Suz

Markus,
I found it very helpful what Bob had to say in that thread about Brick molding. He suggested using the white primed finger joint molding. I tried that, worked well. But I took it a step further and made my own molding, ripped with a table saw. I made over 20 frames so far in various sizes, mostly 24" x 30" frames. They are pretty nice, very strong, my Customers so far have been impressed with them. Found some other threads too, somebody had posted a drawing or sketch of what the profile would look like on a molding you could cut yourself. I'm not sure if you want to take it that far, or just buy brick molding. But brick molding is something that will get you making some frames pretty quickly. You need a chop saw or mitre box, I'm sure you have those things or plan to get them. One of the things I do which helps me repeat my cuts and get the exact same length is to set up a stop block on my chop saw when I cut my molding to the desired size.

This was a good thread too: Thread: gallery wrap materials

Phototec had a good illustration of how to cut the bars, which is basically how I am doing mine.

The little Dremel (vintage) table saw I got was a model 580. It is small and powerful, I can store it very conveniently out of the way, unlike other saws we own or have owned. Nice for gallery frames or picture frames, if you can get one. I got mine on Craigslist, in great condition.

DizzyMarkus

Great thread also Fred thank you-- however not the one.

A guy was shown making his own bars using a table saw, and showed an angle being cut I think and not sure if there was more to it. Hence my search :0) I wouldn't mind a profile shot, or an image shoing the angle and how the frame sits IE front and back once put together. Suz is on the right track -- I'll be HmMMM'ed lol if I can't find it again

Thank you,
Markus

Suz

Markus - is this it?

Thread: Canvas Prints Stretched on to Frame

I thought it was Tyrant, now I'm sure it was!
Scroll down a ways for "tyrandesigner" .... His post has that illustration I was thinking of.
-Suz

Great thread also Fred thank you-- however not the one.

A guy was shown making his own bars using a table saw, and showed an angle being cut I think and not sure if there was more to it. Hence my search :0) I wouldn't mind a profile shot, or an image shoing the angle and how the frame sits IE front and back once put together. Suz is on the right track -- I'll be HmMMM'ed lol if I can't find it again

Thank you,
Markus

Suz

Photos of my frames

thats the one lol thank you greatly,
Markus

Markus, attached, photo of one of my frames, 24"x24" and a frame corner just to show the cut angle, ripped on my table saw. Not the best photos, but you get the idea.
My angle is a bit steeper than some others I have seen. But I just did it to my liking, no exact science. I did mark my angle on my table saw so I can make more later at same angle.

As mentioned, stop blocks (extension pieces I built off my chop saw) worked really great to repeat the board lengths.
Note: I routed out a section on each board so I could easily install my corner supports and/or center supports when needed.

Another thing I did to speed up production was make myself a sanding stations from an old bet sander I bought 30 years ago. I built a little frame to mount the sander in sideways, didn't take long to build it and save me a ton of money and time. Something I had already and haven't used it since I built my shop about 30 years ago. Yikes! Anynow, it works like a champ. It takes 3"x18" sanding belts, I went with a pretty rough grit, forget the number. I ran each board through the sanding station after cutting and routing.

The sticks started out as basic 1x2's, from Lowes. Cheap stuff, but produces a super sturdy frame. When they get quite a bit longer, I just put a center brace in the middle, no bowing.

All the mitered corners and corner supports are glued down, in addition to nails, screws, whatever is needed.

These go pretty fast if you make a production out of each step.

Attachments

• IMG_3595.jpg
    IMG_3595.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3588.jpg
    IMG_3588.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited: