• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to create vinyl cutter guides?

Waseem

Hi,
Im looking to start a phone skins business, but was wondering how to create the templates so they can be cut in the exact same shape as the phones.
Could any offer any guidance please?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Place the phone on a scanner. Open scan in Illustrator, trace it, save the file as a template?

Waseem

I did think of that, but was just considering how the sides would be done, as for example on a blackberry the backs are curved.
I will be getting the template out sourced anyway, but have been difficulty in explaining exactly what i need as im not too sure whats involved..

Malkin

You need to have the item in hand to be able to draw out the pattern, and then print or cut a test from your file, check for errors & adjust. Rinse & repeat.

Unless you find a reliable source to purchase the template files from, though that seems unlikely.

rjssigns

You need to have the item in hand to be able to draw out the pattern, and then print or cut a test from your file, check for errors & adjust. Rinse & repeat.

Unless you find a reliable source to purchase the template files from, though that seems unlikely.

:goodpost:

Big plus with doing them in house is they will be perfect and you can modify as necessary.

motographics

I have not done this myself but if I did this is how I would do it.

Cover the area with masking tape, carefully trim to fit, peel off and flatten the tape then scan the shape in.

Waseem

Oh ok, so if i was to scan a skin that has already been made, say by a competitor, i can get that traced?

Also would you say its pretty straight forward for someone who knows illustrator quite well?