• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to cut a 20ft long stripe

maynemag

I have a customer who wants two stripes to run the length of his 20ft long box truck, my question is has anyone cut a stripe this long without tracking problems from your cutter. I am afriad that since the stripe is so long that the vinyl will get off track. Any suggestions on how to keep it straight the whole length? its just a plain one color 4 inch wide stripe but 20ft long.

Fitch

So long as you move the rollers in slightly (for error), even if the vinyl runs "crooked", the stripes will still be cut evenly

Cheers - G

Cut sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwly. I find my plotter tracks better at the slowest speed on stuff like that.

Another option is to find someone with a slitter. Put 20 feet of vinyl on a roll and have them slit it down to 4". Even if you start with 15" vinyl you will have enough spares in case you make a mistake applying.

Malkin

I love our older Gerber sprocket fed plotter for stuff like that, only issues it might have is static build up.

Pat Whatley

Ditto on the speed. Move your rollers in an inch on each side, cut at the slowest setting, shouldn't be a problem.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Premask it if it is not air release film, flip it over, make some 4" marks every 2 feet or so and cut it with your best straight edge.
Should take all of about 5 minutes and you would have to cut the backing down to that 4" size if it went through the plotter anyway.

wayne k
guam usa

cdiesel

Yep, either cut it by hand like Wayne said, or break it apart into four, ten foot long pieces. It'll use the material better anyways (assuming a 24" roll).

Sign Works

Premask it if it is not air release film, flip it over, make some 4" marks every 2 feet or so and cut it with your best straight edge.
Should take all of about 5 minutes and you would have to cut the backing down to that 4" size if it went through the plotter anyway.

wayne k
guam usa

I do this a lot for RV stripes, premask then measure and mark on the premask, with straight edge & Exacto knife cut through premask, vinyl & carrier paper all in one shot and your stripes are ready for install.

FatCat

Cant you just buy 4 inch rolls of vinyl? I know they sell 6 inches, not sure about 4 however.

Depends on if your supplier offers slitting as part of their service to you. For instance, you can buy a 24" roll and ask them to cut a 4" roll from it yielding a 4" roll and a 20" roll. Most will charge extra for this, but I think your overcomplicating things. Unless your cutter is completely unreliable it "should" be able to do this. If it has worn pinch rollers or is one of the cheapy cutters from ebay...who knows?

*Since your stripe is 20', pull about 10' of material through the machine and center the material. When you back the material into the machine take notice as it runs. Is it skewing or running crooked? If so, pull out 10', re-adjust and try again. (FWIW - I've cut an entire 50 yd. roll of vinyl on my Summa without ever lifting the pinch rollers to re-adjust.)

maynemag

Thanks guys for all the help, this will be the first time I would have to cut this long continuously. I will try and slow the machine down to its slowest setting and see if that works.

DRamm76

Your best bet would be to contact a supplier who can cut it down for you in that size roll. If your supplier carries various pin striping they should be able to custom order that size for you

Gene@mpls

Unless it is a fiberglas side on the truck- it will be 4 foot panels anyway?
So easy to cut 2 10'2" stripes.

Sign Works

Cant you just buy 4 inch rolls of vinyl? I know they sell 6 inches, not sure about 4 however.

You can also buy 6" roll striping and buy a 6" Slitter and slit it down to 4"

Roll striping - Universal Products or Sharpline Converting

Slitter - Fellers and other distributors

Boomer

Couldn't you tape area and paint? I think this would be faster and cheaper than doing in vinyl.