• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to cut aluminum sheets?

ABPGraphics

Alright, I spent probably a good solid hour calling around town to all the welding shops/metal suppliers and absolutely nobody here has a stomp sheer. The only thing I was able to find was a CNC Water Jet Cutter and they charge an arm and a leg for design/cutting fees.

I would actually like to cut all my material in shop but we have ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM to stuff anything more in this little shop. Something like a panel saw would be nice but as I said there is no room and in my experience from skill saws they leave kind of a jagged edge unlike the smooth edge from a stomp sheer.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

Techman

.040 sheet is cut with a carpet knife..
Score it and wiggle it a little and done. clean cuts every time. But, you have to use a little imagination and clamp it down good.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Clamp a straight edge to it and cut it with a circular saw. If you don't have room inside... take it outside with a pair of horses.

Lunatic Taskbar

I have a Circular Saw and a Straight edge, Also I use a Stanley knife and a Straight edge as well. Depending on the length of the cut.

And before anyone posts that a utility knife and a straight edge can't do it. TRY it. its very easy.

Ian

Mainframe

Here is what I use, you need 2 sections & the saw adapter that is all, 3 sections would be nice, you can cut .040--.080 aluminum, mdo, alumalite & even foamboard & more - all perfectly straight every time- i couldn't run my shop without it!

http://www.eurekazone.com/

KOOTO

Aluminum cutting

What size and thickness will you need to cut?

Thin material up to .040 is easy cut like the guys said, by scoring and breaking. $6k for hydraulic for a good used.

It weighs as much as a piano, it takes 6 by 6 ft to operate but you wont ask outside help anymore.

Maybe you can offer cutting services to other shops.

kooto

signage

I can not beleive that there is not a shop in your area that has a shear! These are used in fab shops and shops that make duct work for heating guys! But like every one else said a straight edge and you tool of choice for scoring or cutting!

seesaw signs

Here is what I use, you need 2 sections & the saw adapter that is all, 3 sections would be nice, you can cut .040--.080 aluminum, mdo, alumalite & even foamboard & more - all perfectly straight every time- i couldn't run my shop without it!

http://www.eurekazone.com/

We use a Festool System much like this one. Fits a saw and router and a vacuum cleaner as well, cuts through most materials we use in the shop. We also router out reverse sides of Alucobond for folding up into panels. Like Mainframe, we couldn't run our shop without it.
Cheers,
Neil.

Techman

I posted a tutorial about cutting with a util knife long ago.. It was a great debate back then with all types of sceptics . That is until I posted a short vid clip showing how it was done.

It's really very easy, and by the time someone got out their saws, routers etc, I would be cut and done with no mess and absolutely no wasted material, no saw kerf loss and no chips and no noise, no edge sanding or filing to clean off the burrs etc.

Mosh

Before we got our shear we had a 24" paper cutter. Worked great. Scoring and folding on a brake works too. Did you check plumbing and heating places.

To be honest we tell people all the time we don't have certain equipment, sometimes stopping what you are doing to cut something for someone you don't know is not worth what you can charge. And some people become PESTS, wanting stuff done all the time.