• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How To Cut Really Small Parts

xxtoni

We have a small CNC mill and we're in the works of getting a laser. One question I have though, that I can't find an answer to anywhere, other than "you don't" is how do you cut really small parts ?

Here's some background to clarify the question.

When we want to cut really small acrylic parts, the solution is very easy, throw it in a laser and that's about it. One of our main materials, alongside acrylic, is pvc foam boards or foamex. It is my understanding that you can't cut those on a laser for some reason, because of the fumes or whatever. If you can't use a laser how do you cut really small parts out of it ?

I've tried doing it with a 1mm bit on the CNC but because the size of the bit is so small it can't properly clear the chips and it all melts together so it's really hard to get the thing you've cut out without deforming it. Because of the size of the item you usually can't use 3 or 4mm bits because they affect the final result.

Thanks in advance

xxtoni

How would bridges solve the issue ?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The problem isn't that I can't hold a small part to cut it, it's that if I use a 1mm bit the chips just melt and you can't remove the thing you've cut from the rest of the material. If I use a 4mm bit it messes up the final result, for example when it comes to letters the font doesn't end up looking like it should.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Maybe 3D printing might be better suited for small parts.
I think they are still very slow but if the volume is not to high and the parts are really small it might work.

wayne k
guam usa

AzGene

Contact the manufacturer of the material and ask them for machining instructions. If that fails its trail and error. Lowest RPM possible and fastest xy speed to start. Work it from there. You also might what to throw a chunk of dry ice into a shop vac and reverse the hose to blow on your project.