• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to cut this hood vinyl

TintTech

First of all here is the car.

Customer wants the middle of the hood wrapped and where the body line of the hood deeps in to not have vinyl. The only way I can think of is to free hand it... maybe plot it before install but not sure if that would even work or if there is a pattern out there for it. What are you guys thoughts/ideas? Ill be wrapping it with (3M)scotch print matte black. Also what you guys think as far as pricing

Thanks

Attachments

• bmw_3.jpg
    bmw_3.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited by a moderator:

HulkSmash

Measure the area where you want it, make a template out of it, then plot it.

or you can use knifeless tape.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yowsa.............

I've never heard of 'Knifeless Tape'.

Where do you get it and will it work with vinyls with laminate on them or calendared or just a thin cast vinyl ??

:help

MikePro

knifeless tape wins in this instance.... too easy not to do it!

making a template and plotting still doesn't guarantee you'll hit that line perfectly. I'd do it by hand, easily. Just use the rubbery painter's trim tape applied right over the center of the ridge. Your vinyl won't stick to it too much, so you can lay-down your vinyl and overlap the trim tape. To better see the line you have to cut by hand, i'd use the side of a grease pencil to trace the ridge of the hood onto your vinyl and then cut just deep enough to not pierce the trim tape (takes a skilled touch), peel back the vinyl and remove the painter's tape, and finish applying your vinyl.

Jim Doggett

You're confused. You can use knifeless tape with wrap material or perf. It works wonders. That software you listed is over priced by about $1200 dollars.

No argument on being able to use other materials; but they'll protect less against road debris. A true paint-protection film, which is an expensive option on new cars that car dealers love selling, can be charged (well) for. You'll make more selling better stuff, potentially.

And again no argument on the spendiness of the software. But it is what it is until someone makes something as good, which we can make some money selling for $800. Wanna make one and keep it current each model year, and then sell it to us for 6 or 7 hundred a copy? If you do, you're in. We'll stock it in a heartbeat.

Thanks,

CheapVehicleWrap

No argument on being able to use other materials; but they'll protect less against road debris. A true paint-protection film, which is an expensive option on new cars that car dealers love selling, can be charged (well) for. You'll make more selling better stuff, potentially.

And again no argument on the spendiness of the software. But it is what it is until someone makes something as good, which we can make some money selling for $800. Wanna make one and keep it current each model year, and then sell it to us for 6 or 7 hundred a copy? If you do, you're in. We'll stock it in a heartbeat.

Thanks,

BMW of North America (15 minutes from me) does not recommend, endorse, or install at any BMW dealer around here.

Knifeless tape sounds good. Personally I have 30 foot magnetic guides to lay it out perfectly and dare I say... cut it right on the paint. If you can cut the vinyl without scoring the paint, it's fast and easy AND CHEAP. Have had body shops say it looks factory, how'd you do that?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you can't get the knifeless tape & don't feel confident to cut on the paint you can go old school and lay down some fineline stripping tape - put the vinyl down and cut on top of the tape then fish it out from under the edge of the cut vinyl.
So easy a caveman with a fresh Xacto can do it......

wayne k
guam usa

visual800

throw the vinyl on the hood and then use pinstriping tape to outline the center dip and then freehand cut it out, is what I would do. I don't understand the posting of the clear protection templates.

personally I think a beemer with a decal on the hood is a little unclassy but it aint my car

signmeup

Lay the vinyl, use masking tape to define the cut and cut with a box cutter. That's how I did it anyway.