• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to cut vinyl roll in half?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
In a pinch you "could" rig up a laminator and rig some way to hold a knife in an exact position and run the roll through onto two tubes on the takeup. Did just that once many years ago with a razor clamped to a table in front of the laminator. It actually worked pretty good. Not perfectly even but less than 1/16 of an inch drift on the 50yd roll was good enough. I have also cut a roll down with a 12" chop saw (tape around the entire spot to be cut and use a new thin kerf blade) - this did work pretty well too but the cut edge was a bit rough.

UberDapr

There was a post earlier where guy uses a chop saw with a specific blade. If I remember correctly he said, less teeth the better. The aluminum/wood cutting blades can melt it. Again, I'd look up the post before quoting me

adamfromayr

Another handy option!

With a Long Blade!

DEWDCS388N-XJ.jpg

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Definitely not this one.. Only as a last resort maybe. I recommend a circular saw.

The Sign Goddess

Vinyl Slayer by trade
We have cut several rolls of print material. I run a piece of 6" application tape around the roll and then wrap the same area tightly with masking tape. Then we use a sawzall with a long blade. Haven't had a bad cut yet.

DAVID MARSHALL

Using the takeup reel on a laminator works well. Set it turning at a high speed and just hand hold a stanley knife to make the cut. Cutting through the core takes the longest but it works.

Tomtint

We have a roll slitter. Actually use it fairly often. It's from Scorpion, I bet it was about 3k about 4-5 years ago

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I've used our bandsaw - a bit rough on the edges, but if you're cutting it down, it's probably going through a plotter, so one rough edge is unlikely to be an issue.

149motorsports

Ive cut down transfer tape and vinyl with a miter saw. Works like a charm and smooth edges!
Make sure you get a big blade other wise it cuts 75% and then you have to turn the roll to cut the rest.