• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to do it in PhotoShop

threeputt

I'm trying to blur the edges of a photograph so that the photo doesn't end abruptly against it's background.

I know this should be simple, and I've searched the Help menu, but it's difficult when you don't know the proper word to search under. Is it called Blurring? I doubt it.

I have PS 7.0. Any help greatly appreciated.

dlndesign

Your probably looking for Gaussian Blur. First select the edge you want to blur. Then go to filters, go to Blur, then to Gaussian Blur. You can adjust the amount there.
Hope this helps.

schmitty

Several ways to do it depending on the desire results, but an easy one to explain is make the selection, feather the selection, copy and paste it into a new document.

Good Luck!

S

SignTech

Feathering ....... select the edge to be feathered then select the rectangular marquee tool ....... select edge to feather ...... right click select feather .... select parameters (pixels) 1 - 10 or up to 50% ......... press delete ......

Good starting point ...... this is for edges .........

You may have to INVERSE for the whole outside .........

threeputt

First select the edge you want to blur. Then go to filters, go to Blur, then to Gaussian Blur. You can adjust the amount there.

When I try that, it blurs the entire photo. I want to blend, blur, feather or whatever the term is, one edge of the photo into it's background.

Secondly, I don't know how to select just one edge of an image.

speedneeds

I usually feather a selection around the photo and apply a layer mask. Sometimes I have to use a gaussian blur to get desired effects. To do one side I would use layer mask and gradient tool.

Last edited:
S

SignTech

This what you are looking for?

Attachments

• feather.jpg
    feather.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 86

Sparky

what about a "soft" edged large eraser tool? Run it along the edge that you want blended.

Can you do that in PS7?

grafxxx

choose your background color you want to blend photo on to now your photo layer make your square how ever far form the edge you want. then hit "control i" to inverse the selection then go to feather and choose the number then hit delete. or same steps but use what ever filter you want the key is inverting the selection so your only selecting the outer edge.

threeputt

I don't know what happened to my earlier post, wherein I thanked everyone for their help. And especially Stacy for that super tutorial.

It got me going again from "stall mode" to a finished project.

Thanks.

ericmitchell29

graffxxx has explained it the way I do it also.

Thats a quick simple way of doing it.

Use this method, it will save you tons of time.

Eric