Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to do small lettering??

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Accelerated Graphics, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Accelerated Graphics

Accelerated Graphics Active Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Burleson
    customer is doing plane interiors and need custom labels but wanting individual letters.
    We've done some in silk screen but hes wanting something different..

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. john1

john1 Guest

print on clear with a machine that can print white as a base then color on top.

3. Accelerated Graphics

Jan 11, 2005
    Burleson
    they don't want that, Customer said he's seen it before, like the cut vinyl but small clean letters...I was thinking maybe some kind of silk screen transfer..

4. SignProPlus-Alex

SignProPlus-Alex Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Bluffton SC
    How about nice engraved plate with double sided tape?

5. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Cut it, don't weed it, transfer tape it. Customer applies and then weeds off of wall or door. Better yet, customer applies unweeded, weeds in reverse, then paints letters on so the first kid in the potty doesn't scrape it off.

6. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    yeah weed on the substrate. or, if theirs not many to do, just dial in your plotter and run it slow

7. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    3M Electrocut vinyl (cast, with clear plastic liner) is pretty good for small intricate plotting.

8. john1

john1 Guest

Gotta work smarter not harder. Tell him the options and if he doesn't like them then send him off. Wouldn't waste my time weeding these out of cut vinyl.

9. AwardImage

AwardImage Member

Dec 1, 2011
    OMG!
    You guys are awesome with the experienced ideas (weeding from the substrate)

Also, I was going to post that you need to replace your cutter strip, before you "dial in" a finesse job like that.

Offspin thought: I'm going to cut my logo for a return address sticker for some job farming letters... the next time I swap cutter strips.

10. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario

This!!!!

11. Accelerated Graphics

Jan 11, 2005
    Burleson
    I try to run him all I can on some jobs but he spends about 8k a month here.. Gotta try sometime..

12. john1

john1 Guest

Then in that case yeah do it.

Use a 60 degree blade and oracal 651 (i have found it weeds amazing on small jobs)

13. ironchef

ironchef Very Active Member

May 1, 2012
    Miami, FL
    What size are the letters? I can easily weed halfinch letters when i slow the plotter down, mayne even quarter inch., if i take my time. I use a graphtec fc8000-75

14. Accelerated Graphics

Jan 11, 2005
    Burleson
    1/8" letters

15. AwardImage

AwardImage Member

Dec 1, 2011
    My hero :) That's tight

16. CES020

CES020 Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    VA
    I have a product for the laser that'll work just fine, I think.

It's about .005" thick, got adhesive on the back, and it's stiff, not flexible like vinyl. Send me the file and I'll cut it for you for free to see if it works. You'd have nice, individual letters with a strong adhesive on the back (not that that matters, since it's not but so much surface area on a 1/8" tall letter anyway).

PM me and I'll get you my contact info.

I've got some white I use all the time for different applications. I cut through it, leaving the release liner in tact. All you'd have to do is put transfer tape on it and you should be set.

17. CES020

CES020 Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    VA
    Just ran a quick test, here's the result.

Attached Files:

18. TwoNine

TwoNine Active Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Romark?

19. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    So how long will those little bits stay stuck?...This seems to be the wrong way to do it if they expect them to last.....Looks like a pad printing job....

20. Custom_Grafx

Custom_Grafx Very Active Member

Nov 23, 2008
    How big is the piece? Will it fit into a laser etching machine? Etch it, paint fill it. OR, use a direct printing method of your choice.

Do NOT stick on individual letters that size... especially for a good client....