• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to drum up business...

We run our business out of a 1000 sq foot space that is on our personal property. Right now 95% of our sales come from online orders.

I want to start advertising to different businesses in our local area. We live out in the country so the businesses that we would be dealing with are about 20 miles from our location. The problems I've had in the past is that we don't get any walk in business and for those businesses that do order they want everything dropped off at their location, they never want to come out to pick up. When we do vehicle decals they want us to come to them, they never seem to want to bring their vehicle to us.

Through the years I have seen many posts from this group that they would prefer to not have walk ins because they can waste your time.

For those of you who don't have a business that people can stop in at -- what are some of the ways that generate business for yourself? Just looking for some ideas on how I can drum up business.

Billct2

The old stand-by is to stop in any place who's sign is shot and offer a price on a new one. Bring your portfolio and proposal form.
As for delivery/lettering trucks on site, I charge more.

Vinyldog

I have a totally different price for customers who will come to my store with usable artwork or tell me what they want, and those who prefer to bounce e-mails back and forth and want everything delivered, have crummy artwork, want different layouts for every order etc.
And it’s about double.

Sometimes they get the idea themselves, but I have no problem telling them. The easier you make it on me the better price and product you are going to get.

2B

do an EDDM to your local town, or get a mailing list of businesses and then send out advertisements

regarding the drive time, yeah they will not travel to you.

set up a weekly / bi weekly delivery schedule where you will drop off the products but only if there are multiple orders/locations to do in the same trip. if they want it differently, Mail it or they pay for you to bring it to them

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
  • Create a nice mailing piece and send it to new business licensees in your area. These are usually available from your county government either online or in person and are public information. Screen out locations or business types you may not want.
  • Check for new building permits and drive by to look for activity. Mail, phone, leave a brochure or cold call the contractors as appropriate as well as occupants when they appear.
  • Doll up your vehicle to advertise your services. I used to have "See Me for Signs" and my phone number in my rear window. It worked very well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
But Fred..... you're such a handsome man, I can see how it would work seeing you, but what if the OP is butt ugly ??

Sounds more like a chick thing to me...... see me and call...................... :rolleyes:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
But Fred..... you're such a handsome man, I can see how it would work seeing you, but what if the OP is butt ugly ??

Sounds more like a chick thing to me...... see me and call...................... :rolleyes:

:blondie: Sounds like you're spending too much time in public restrooms Gino.

Butt ugly folks will succeed (along with the rest of us) if they follow two rules:

1. Adopt a mindset that you are well booked with work whether you are or not. Clients prefer to deal with sought after suppliers.

2. Lose any look that identifies you as a sales person. No business apparel. Jeans or shorts, preferably with some paint smears on them, will identify you as the guy or gal who does the work ... which is with whom the client really wants to deal.

decalman

Whats wrong with walk ins?
I do lots of internet biz, and that waste lots of time.
E-mails back and forth can easily hit 10 to 20, even more.

Its good to be busy though.