• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Guy How to effectively run business which I've taken charge..

Razz888

I haven't been a member all that long on this site so I don't have any authority, but I do think you need to take a long hard look at yourself and address all of your issues. No matter what business you'd be trying out it's not going to be easy. At least not at first. Why is your dad leaving if he knows all about the business? What is he seeing that you're not seeing?
He's not leaving, he just wants to use the remainder of his time and energy focusing on something else. The thing is, I'm young so I have the energy and time to accomplish this. He's had his time, and just wants to focus on one thing, you know, people get bored 0

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, if you wanna play games and have your riddles, go ahead. Until you make some sense, I don't think anyone can explain anything to you. You have your mind made up and it doesn't matter what anyone here says, unless they agree with you.

Have a good weekend. chow.

Razz888

Well, if you wanna play games and have your riddles, go ahead. Until you make some sense, I don't think anyone can explain anything to you. You have your mind made up and it doesn't matter what anyone here says, unless they agree with you.

Have a good weekend. chow.
I am falling to understand what you are talking about? What games and riddles? What seems to be unclear? Ask me and I'll simplify it for you. If you don't want to give some advice, then that's fine, no need to put a young individual down. You don't owe me anything.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
no need to put a young individual down
Free advice, drop the whole excuse me for not knowing anything, I'm just young. It doesn't play out well. People will give young people a chance but only the ones that are astute and hustle, you seem to fail at both. Nobody is going to give you a free pass just because you are young. The opportunities you will get from your age will be met with the same expectations of knowledge and quality that are put on the established shops. Don't act so entitled

Razz888

Free advice, drop the whole excuse me for not knowing anything, I'm just young. It doesn't play out well. People will give young people a chance but only the ones that are astute and hustle, you seem to fail at both. Nobody is going to give you a free pass just because you are young. The opportunities you will get from your age will be met with the same expectations of knowledge and quality that are put on the established shops. Don't act so entitled
You alongside a lot of other people don't have anything nice to say, it costs $0.00 to be nice. I am sorry if you are having a tough year and want to take it out on me. Remember, someone took a chance to you. You grew with age and experience, and what sounds stupid to you, probably wasn't when you were my age. So remember your early days and don't comment if you shall not want to.

Notarealsignguy

You alongside a lot of other people don't have anything nice to say, it costs $0.00 to be nice. I am sorry if you are having a tough year and want to take it out on me. Remember, someone took a chance to you. You grew with age and experience, and what sounds stupid to you, probably wasn't when you were my age. So remember your early days and don't comment if you shall not want to.

I got to where I'm at by teaching myself and being a hard worker. Nobody gave me somethin for nothin. It wasn't so much a chance either, it was how I carried myself, my ability to learn without being some dipsh!t with a million elementary questions and my drive. You want something handed to you, it was as clear as day in your first post. Sweaty palms? Dude. Grow up, you're an adult, act like it. I'm not being mean, I'm giving advice to you like an adult should have by now. Do you honestly expect customers to be nice because you're 21? You won't succeed with an adult business by acting like a child.

WildWestDesigns

I would caution here. I can't speak for everyone, but while someone indeed did help me learn the ropes, they were far less convivial then what you have received here (and they were family and I started when I was really young).

I remember I was in an embroidery forum and a person was wanting to get into sublimation and I had asked if they had done a C/B on what it would take, how long would it take to be profitable, updated their business plan etc. Someone else came along and said don't listen to the downer and just do what you want. A year later they were getting out of the sublimation aspect of their business. Take what you want from that.

When you ask a question, you open yourself up to all kinds of comments, even from the crusty ones, there is something to learn. The question is what do you do with it? When dealing with the public, you are going to be deal with all kinds of personalities, some you really won't like. How you deal with them, how you defuse the situation etc could go a long way with your business or a very short way, all depends on how you choose to conduct yourself.

Take what you want from the answers here, but quite a lot of users on here have decades of experience, I wouldn't quickly dismiss it, just due to the delivery happens to be dry and crusty. Read it, absorb it, then decided to keep or discard it. I can tell you, someone that can still listen and have a conversion with someone that they disagree with, but still see that there is something there to have a conversion about will go further then one that just shuts down and dismisses it.

But that's just my take on it.

Notarealsignguy

I'm calling bullsh!t on all of this. It sounds very similar to other posts that have been on here plus you said being nice costs $0.00. Wouldn't someone from London say £0.00??

Razz888

I'm calling bullsh!t on all of this. It sounds very similar to other posts that have been on here plus you said being nice costs $0.00. Wouldn't someone from London say £0.00??
My god, did you actually take the time out of your valuable day to conduct a mini investigation? What are you trying to get at? And yes, I would say £0.00, but knowing this is a US-majority board, I wrote the dollar symbol. Does that bother you?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
888......... being a secretary, if you didn't learn anything up to this point about the business from your old man, what areas can you do on your own ??
  • Do you know the various substrates ??
  • Do you any layout or design ??
  • Do you undstand light source ??
  • Do you understand graphs ??
  • Do you understand overhead ??
  • Do you know any sign programs ??
  • Do you know profit & loss ??
  • Do you know how to write a check ??
  • Do you knowhow to balance books ??
  • Do you not know what any of the above areas are about ??

Last edited:

Val47

My god, did you actually take the time out of your valuable day to conduct a mini investigation? What are you trying to get at? And yes, I would say £0.00, but knowing this is a US-majority board, I wrote the dollar symbol. Does that bother you?

His day isn't that valuable. but I caught that slip as well. You don't " sound" like you are who you say. Oth, there could very well be a new generation of Entitled "sounding" young adult's, that don't understand that hard knocks are a realistic part of growing up. You sound like you have never had that valuable part of life experience. Take the advice you want. Stop arguing with people who know what they're doing.

dypinc

Your skin is too thin. You will never make it with that kind of attitude.

If you were my son I would want to get away from you too.

Notarealsignguy

888......... being a secretary, if you didn't learn anything up to this point about the business from your old man, what areas can you do on your own ??
  • Do you know the various substrates ??
  • Do you any layout or design ??
  • Do you undstand light source ??
  • Do you understand graphs ??
  • Do you understand overhead ??
  • Do you know any sign programs ??
  • Do you know profit & loss ??
  • Do you know how to write a check ??
  • Do you knowhow to balance books ??
  • Do you not know what any of the above areas are about ??
P&L? My mind is more theory based so I'll sub out that more analytical stuff. I did have to sign the back of a check once so I'm good with that.

Notarealsignguy

I did. I'm inspector gadget. My go-go gadget arms are a real asset to me in the sign business.

rossmosh

I'm not reading this dumpster fire. Here's my take:

If you have some sort of applicable skill set, by all means, continue down this path of being in the sign/printing world.

If you don't have an applicable skill set, run as far away as you can. There are so many industries out there where it's much easier to make a living.

Val47

I'm not reading this dumpster fire. Here's my take:

If you have some sort of applicable skill set, by all means, continue down this path of being in the sign/printing world.

If you don't have an applicable skill set, run as far away as you can. There are so many industries out there where it's much easier to make a living.
That's been said at least 4 times, and counting...

SignEST

Having 1 employee per 2 owners(you and your dad) is pretty funny. That amount of business should be attainable by a 1 man shop by yourself if you were any good at this. If you really truly like this industry maybe take your sweaty palms to a real shop and learn the trade from there. Since your father is too busy doing his 'hobby' or whatever.

Attachments

• suboutguy.jpg
    suboutguy.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 73