• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to explain this to a customer...

Garbus

we did a couple of busses about a year ago. With a big X and some smaller lettering down the sides. It was supposed to be on there for about 3-4 months, but stayed on for about 10.
The busses were brand new, and now that we peeled off the vinyl, the sun, road dust and washing machine has made the coating more matte, and the blue colour "lighter". (where there was no vinyl of course)
So now they have a complaint, that they can see where the vinyl has been...

How would you explain this to a customer, so they GET IT !!!
And does anyone know a way to fix this??

thanks...

Redz Signs Inc.

i would just tell them, anytime that you put anything over a fresh new surface you will them protect that surface from the elements rain, salt, dirt etc. over time acid rain causes oxidation that will cause the outer clear coat to fade and the only way that you could have provented it would be to wax the vehicle on a regular basis to prevent and resist agiant fade. i was a body man for 10 years we ran into this alot when we would take stripes off and other vinyl. we would simply say it was lack of preventitive maintanance on your behalf as you can see where the stickers were is how the rest should look there for you do not maintain the vehicle correctly.. then they say OOooooo i get it now then the response is how do i fix it? we say the vehicle will need to be buffed to regain the factor finish. they say Really? how much is that? responce is " depending on your vehicle anywhere from 65-85 an hr and black is more...

hope this helps.

Speedsterbeast

You can simply tell them that your product protected the finish. Their complaint is actually what the elements did to their vehicle in the places where your product was NOT installed. Suggest the complaint should go to Mother Nature.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
You can simply tell them that your product protected the finish. Their complaint is actually what the elements did to their vehicle in the places where your product was NOT installed. Suggest the complaint should go to Mother Nature.

Classic!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's quite simple. Their bus got sunburned. Anything in the sun begins to oxidize over time. Your skin, drapes in your window and even your bus.

If you have to explain this well known phenomenon to these people they are truly morons. However, if you must, just tell them.... you see Billy, anytime you are exposed to the sun's ultraviolet rays, you will begin to see a change in color regardless of what it is... you frickin' blathering nincompoop.

mikefine

You won't be able to explain to your customer. We had this happen to us. We brought in a mobile detail company and they buffed for us. As I recall, it wasn't that expensive. The client was ecstatic, and it was worth the investment to keep a happy customer.

MikeD

You won't be able to explain to your customer. We had this happen to us. We brought in a mobile detail company and they buffed for us. As I recall, it wasn't that expensive. The client was ecstatic, and it was worth the investment to keep a happy customer.

That great customer service, and a good way to treat your customers overall!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working

+1 for good PR. It might be a good idea to figure this into the initial cost of doing a project like this. Keep the money on ice to cover such expenses, and if they don't complain after it's been removed, put the money into your general operating fund.

JB

Patentagosse

Wrap in negative, I mean wrap everywhere except where the vinyl was applied then take it off in 10 months. Finish should now be evenly faded. I know it sounds weird but they opened the door...

jnataros

Wrap in negative, I mean wrap everywhere except where the vinyl was applied then take it off in 10 months. Finish should now be evenly faded. I know it sounds weird but they opened the door...

hahaha; I LOVE solutions that sell more product.

in all seriousness; I agree with Speedsterbeast... you protected that bit of their paint from fading. If it were me I would tell them this, and then not do their next bus *sigh*

J Hill Designs

no way, upsell to a full wrap next time

use the photo of this removal to show the reason why a full wrap will protect the paint :thumb:

Billct2

Drop your pants and show them how nice and smooth and unblemished your butt is.

Nah, I'd go thru the whole blah blah blah and suggest they have the vehicle buffed out.
I think having the vehicle buffed out on your dime is a little overboard. Are you going to repaint a building when they take their sign down? If it was a good, no a great repeat customer I might consider it, or splitting it with them. But seriously some people are unreasonable.

btropical.com

I would buff out the bus and maybe offer some free lettering , but while you have the bus get some head on shrimp and place them behind a panel inside the bus and take it as a loss

slappy

Time will heal. In a month, the removed graphics will look like the rest of the bus. No need to buff unless your being paid.
And keep this in mind for next time when you do lettering on new vehicles. I tell all my customers about ghost outlines.

GypsyGraphics

Time will heal. In a month, the removed graphics will look like the rest of the bus. No need to buff unless your being paid.
And keep this in mind for next time when you do lettering on new vehicles. I tell all my customers about ghost outlines.

adding a line to your invoice, mentioning regular maintenance of the cars finish will help reduce ghosting, might be a good idea. that way when they come back, you can say... not only did you warn them but you told them how to reduce the problem.