• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to feed out media for cutting?

MrDesignGuy

Does anybody know how to feed about 10 feet of cut vinyl on the Roland SJ Pro III 540? The Users manual has nothing. I want to make sure the media does not walk left or right off the rollers, ending up contour cutting off the side of the media, had it happen before. Would like to feed it out before cutting to make sure it rolls out evenly. Or if anybody has any other helpful tips. THanks!

702 graphics

put in media, lower pinch rollers. hit set up. hit base point. hold the arrow facing you untill you roll out 10 feet. then send your file. It will feed its self back to your base point then start the cut file.

MrDesignGuy

put in media, lower pinch rollers. hit set up. hit base point. hold the arrow facing you untill you roll out 10 feet. then send your file. It will feed its self back to your base point then start the cut file.

How will you know 10 feet has spooled out? There is no data on the printers screen letting me know the amount being fed. Do I have to manually measure?

Last edited:

MrDesignGuy

Actually I think I figured it out. Under Menu then Sheet Remain, you can put in 1 foot increments for the amount left on a sheet. Then back to set up, I hit base point, then down arrow to feed, and next to the letter L you will see the initial amount entered decrease until you reach 0 ft. It's a slow feed, but it's better than wasting a lot of vinyl.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Load your material.
Pull out about 1/2 the length of the material your printing on through the front of the printer. Close the pinch rollers and roll back to the leading edge. Skewing will be very minimal and cut in half.

If your really concerned or have a lazy eye... pull out the entire length of your material; close the pinch rollers and roll it back to the beginning.

MrDesignGuy

FYI, I have also found that using the media flanges that were provided with the printer help tremendously, rolls out 10 feet without walking more than 1/8"

jfiscus

Rap Master
Just make sure you load your media straight, previous sheet cut be darned. It's not really THAT hard is it?

MrDesignGuy

Just make sure you load your media straight, previous sheet cut be darned. It's not really THAT hard is it?

This just doesn't cut it. Tried this, thinking it's just this simple but it really isn't. You may think it is straight, but it always finds a way to walk 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, especially when feeding out 15' of vinyl. The media flanges are the way to go for long cut vinyl jobs!

I've found even tension and a tight straight roll when loading and I can run 10-20 feet without walking at all. Once you get the feel for loading the machine you'll be able to load it and not second guess yourself on a long run. Always, always do a sheet cut when you are loaded and ready to print, laminate and cut. This allows you to visually line up the leading edge for the cut portion after the laminate and get the run exactly the same as it printed..