Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to "fill" outline of text

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by trakers, May 11, 2007.

1. trakers

trakers Very Active Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Midwest
    I created some text and use the outline tool to surround it. What I want is to be able to have the back (black) piece of vinyl solid with no cutouts for the text or the space within the letters.

I've spent 2 hours and I'm about to give up.

See below for a visual description of what I get and what I want.

Anyone?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm not sure what program you're using so the terminology may not sound right but simply ungroup or release the compound on the outline then delete the unwanted paths or just select the desired cutpath and send to cutter.

3. cinemasign.grafix

cinemasign.grafix Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Try contour - solid backing

4. trakers

Mar 31, 2007
    Midwest
    I'm using the Flexi8

5. Geary

Geary Very Active Member

Go to Outlines. Set your outline then choose Separate Outline. Pull your top red copy off of the black. Then just click on Uncompound and go through the black and eliminate the nodes. It doesn't take much time. Took me like 30 seconds to do through it for this:

Attached Files:

6. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Put a contour on it, in 3 seconds your done. If it took me 2 hours to do I would have tossed everything out the window

7. Sticker Dude

Sticker Dude Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Florida
    well hes a begineer i did the same thing a few years ago on the same question Geary is the one that i worked off from

8. trakers

Mar 31, 2007
    Midwest
    Geary's technique gave me the results I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

"If it took me 2 hours to do I would have tossed everything out the window"

I heard that. For the past 15 or so years I have used raster based design software exclusively. In that program I could have accomplished the same effect in seconds, which I can now do in Flexi thanks to Geary.

It is extremely frustrating when you just *know* what you want to do is easy, but simply don’t know which clicks make it happen.

A friend of mine was trying to crop a photo to a circle to print on a DVD recently. He had spent *hours* trying to get it done. He asked me one day and I did it in, literally, 10 seconds. He jokingly called me an SOB.

Anyway, I appreciate the assistance. I always try to figure it out myself, read the manual, hit the net, but having an excellent board like this for backup is great.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

9. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Why would you do that when you could have selected 'Contour' instead of 'Outline' and Flexi would have done it for you in a single keystroke?

10. TLT692

TLT692 New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    You could also just make the outline a little thicker and it would do the same thing as coutour.

11. trakers

Mar 31, 2007
    Midwest
    As dumb as it sounds becuase I can't figure out how to get it to cut one color for the text and then cut the contour in a different color.

I've only been using this program for a week so I'm grasping at straws here. ;-)

12. imaSIGNr

imaSIGNr Very Active Member

Jan 15, 2006
    If you go to advance tab on cut page and uncheck send all colors you should be able to cut each color separate. You are running Flexi right ?

13. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Different problem. Cutting individual vs. multiple colors at one time is controlled by various settings in the Cut and Plot dialog, not with the design itself.