• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to "fill" outline of text

trakers

I created some text and use the outline tool to surround it. What I want is to be able to have the back (black) piece of vinyl solid with no cutouts for the text or the space within the letters.

I've spent 2 hours and I'm about to give up.

See below for a visual description of what I get and what I want.

Anyone?

Attachments

• fillin.gif
    fillin.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 184

Sign Works

I'm not sure what program you're using so the terminology may not sound right but simply ungroup or release the compound on the outline then delete the unwanted paths or just select the desired cutpath and send to cutter.

Geary

Go to Outlines. Set your outline then choose Separate Outline. Pull your top red copy off of the black. Then just click on Uncompound and go through the black and eliminate the nodes. It doesn't take much time. Took me like 30 seconds to do through it for this:

Attachments

• Separates.jpg
    Separates.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Computers.jpg
    Computers.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 121

Sticker Dude

well hes a begineer i did the same thing a few years ago on the same question Geary is the one that i worked off from

trakers

Geary's technique gave me the results I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

"If it took me 2 hours to do I would have tossed everything out the window"

I heard that. For the past 15 or so years I have used raster based design software exclusively. In that program I could have accomplished the same effect in seconds, which I can now do in Flexi thanks to Geary.

It is extremely frustrating when you just *know* what you want to do is easy, but simply don’t know which clicks make it happen.

A friend of mine was trying to crop a photo to a circle to print on a DVD recently. He had spent *hours* trying to get it done. He asked me one day and I did it in, literally, 10 seconds. He jokingly called me an SOB.

Anyway, I appreciate the assistance. I always try to figure it out myself, read the manual, hit the net, but having an excellent board like this for backup is great.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Go to Outlines. Set your outline then choose Separate Outline. Pull your top red copy off of the black. Then just click on Uncompound and go through the black and eliminate the nodes. It doesn't take much time. Took me like 30 seconds to do through it for this:

Why would you do that when you could have selected 'Contour' instead of 'Outline' and Flexi would have done it for you in a single keystroke?

trakers

Why would you do that when you could have selected 'Contour' instead of 'Outline' and Flexi would have done it for you in a single keystroke?

As dumb as it sounds becuase I can't figure out how to get it to cut one color for the text and then cut the contour in a different color.

I've only been using this program for a week so I'm grasping at straws here. ;-)

imaSIGNr

As dumb as it sounds becuase I can't figure out how to get it to cut one color for the text and then cut the contour in a different color.

I've only been using this program for a week so I'm grasping at straws here. ;-)
If you go to advance tab on cut page and uncheck send all colors you should be able to cut each color separate. You are running Flexi right ?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

Different problem. Cutting individual vs. multiple colors at one time is controlled by various settings in the Cut and Plot dialog, not with the design itself.