• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to fit 6 sections of scaffolding into a minivan

signmeup

I was tired of borrowing trucks or messing with a trailer to get my scaffolding to jobsites so I figured out a cure. I cut the scaffold in half and installed joints so I could fit it inside my Dodge Caravan and assemble it on site. The sections of scaffold were cut with a large tube cutter and the steel "pins" used to rejoin the sections were welded in place with plug welds. Then I slip the two halves together and slide a pin through to secure them.

I used the modified scaffold for the first time today and it went great. It was easy to fit in the van and easy to set up the halves. We couldn't tell any difference in use. It didn't wiggle or wobble at all. I'm very pleased with the result.

It's nice not to have to think about how the heck I'm going to move my scaffolding to jobs anymore. It also seems easier to fit into my storage space as a side bonus.

I just need to touch up the paint where the welding burned it and I'm good to go.

Note: there are only 3 full sets (6 frames) of scaffold in the van in the picture but 3 more will fit on the other side of the planks where the two 8 foot step ladders are.

Attachments

• scaffold22.jpg
    scaffold22.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 373
  • scaffoldd.jpg
    scaffoldd.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Smart thinking, looks good.
I went a little more Mad Max with an old Toyota van we had. One of those really ugly early models they first came out with.
Built an aluminum platform larger than the roof and bolted it right through the roof.
Could both carry our scaffolds and service 1st floor storefront signs by climbing up on the the van roof.
Worked great right up until the night one of our employees ran it into the back of a new Mercedes on his way home after a few drinks.

wayne k
guam usa

wes70

Great idea!
I borrow staging from a friend. Can't wait too see his expression when I bring it back to him in cut sections :)

TheSellOut

That's great SignMe...There'e even room for some signs!!

Why drag the horse to water when you can bring water to the horse?!

Last edited:

signmeup

That's great SignMe...There'e even room for some signs!!

Why drag the horse to water when you can bring water to the horse?!
Yes, I could still fit a few posts and some 4 x 8 panels inside. On this job I had a 31' x 4 ' replacement frame for a sign cabinet knocked down on top of the planks. The Lexan face was in my buddys van, rolled up.