Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get image on Astroturf?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Jillbeans, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Just had a regular client stop by.
    He wanted me to paint a logo on a piece of astroturf.
    He was going to use it at a campsite/gun show event.
    I told him I couldn't do it, especially because it would actually be walked upon.
    I could see it being a real pain to do and making a big mess when tracked up.
    But it got me thinking...just how would you get an image onto a piece of astroturf?
    Silk screening? Special paint?
    I know in sports arenas etc they have something like this but I never paid attention.
    :thankyou:
    Love....Jill

Tags:
  2. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    I've seen them paint grass in the film biz. Usually use a template and go from there.
    I was also talking to a sales rep yesterday saying that there's a new product due out soon that's made to go on grass. He wouldn't give me all the details but said it was like mesh. Maybe worth testing a little...

3. dwt

dwt Member

Feb 5, 2010
    If it had to be done or else... I would airbrush it and load it up with thin coats of clear.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  4. btropical.com

btropical.com Active Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Apply vector image to piece of pet screen and use Krylon ?

5. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    +1 to stencil and spray paint
    +1 to coating finished product with clear

its how they do it on football fields.

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    A few years back we did the signs and lettering for a new college stadium in our area. While we were there doing our thing.... a crew showed up and took down all kinds of measurements for the field and while talking to my contact, he said they were going to paint the field turf after they got all of their information to their headquarters and made the templates.

I didn't see it actually go down, but there is a special paint and procedure for doing, at least.... big jobs anyway. It lasts generally a whole season from what the guy said to us. As for doing a small rug, we can print on a kind of carpet with our flatbed that looks like AstroTurf and it will withstand quite a few feet walking on it.

7. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    airbrush or paint . . .

8. signcrafters london

signcrafters london Very Active Member

May 22, 2010
    London KY
  9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Hey folks... there's a big difference in painting a grass field vs. AstroTurf.

10. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    That was a cool video.
    This thing was a circular logo, with a Native American in a big war bonnet with about 8 different colors in the feathers, lettering in the circle, and loads of detail.
    It would have probably needed to be about 3'.
    The Astroturf was just a regular rolled green carpet like grandma would use on her back porch.
    It would have been too much time with the chance of uncertain results, and there wouldn't have been enough $$ in it.

11. gnemmas

gnemmas Active Member

Nov 7, 2006
    CA
    Flatbed printer? Like how the "Welcome" mat?

12. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

i've painted many logo's on turf.

the best i've found is flat interior latex, paper pattern, brushes and rollers.....

here is a photo of the last one i painted.the logo isn't finished in this pic, don't have time to find an updated one.

FILE0188.jpg

13. signcrafters london

signcrafters london Very Active Member

May 22, 2010
    London KY
    Here's one on field turf done the same way as the video I posted on grass. The only difference is the guys in Georgia work a helluva lot faster. :Big Laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S9rBqFnGuA