• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to get image on Astroturf?

Jillbeans

Just had a regular client stop by.
He wanted me to paint a logo on a piece of astroturf.
He was going to use it at a campsite/gun show event.
I told him I couldn't do it, especially because it would actually be walked upon.
I could see it being a real pain to do and making a big mess when tracked up.
But it got me thinking...just how would you get an image onto a piece of astroturf?
Silk screening? Special paint?
I know in sports arenas etc they have something like this but I never paid attention.
:thankyou:
Love....Jill

Sticky Signs

I've seen them paint grass in the film biz. Usually use a template and go from there.
I was also talking to a sales rep yesterday saying that there's a new product due out soon that's made to go on grass. He wouldn't give me all the details but said it was like mesh. Maybe worth testing a little...

dwt

If it had to be done or else... I would airbrush it and load it up with thin coats of clear.

Last edited:

MikePro

+1 to stencil and spray paint
+1 to coating finished product with clear

its how they do it on football fields.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A few years back we did the signs and lettering for a new college stadium in our area. While we were there doing our thing.... a crew showed up and took down all kinds of measurements for the field and while talking to my contact, he said they were going to paint the field turf after they got all of their information to their headquarters and made the templates.

I didn't see it actually go down, but there is a special paint and procedure for doing, at least.... big jobs anyway. It lasts generally a whole season from what the guy said to us. As for doing a small rug, we can print on a kind of carpet with our flatbed that looks like AstroTurf and it will withstand quite a few feet walking on it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey folks... there's a big difference in painting a grass field vs. AstroTurf.

Jillbeans

That was a cool video.
This thing was a circular logo, with a Native American in a big war bonnet with about 8 different colors in the feathers, lettering in the circle, and loads of detail.
It would have probably needed to be about 3'.
The Astroturf was just a regular rolled green carpet like grandma would use on her back porch.
It would have been too much time with the chance of uncertain results, and there wouldn't have been enough $$ in it.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i've painted many logo's on turf.

the best i've found is flat interior latex, paper pattern, brushes and rollers.....

here is a photo of the last one i painted.the logo isn't finished in this pic, don't have time to find an updated one.

FILE0188.jpg