• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to get lower shipping rates? FedEx & UPS

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Once you get to around $5k/month in shipping, the shipping companies will start to notice you. Still no serious discounts until you get to the $10k+/month level, but the real savings at smaller shipping volumes is having them pick up the packages. You will need a registered scale and the company's proprietary printer and labels, an internet connection and an account (which will require a minimum $$ commitment). No serious discounts at that level, but think about what it costs to drive across town to a shipping drop-off.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Once you get to around $5k/month in shipping, the shipping companies will start to notice you. Still no serious discounts until you get to the $10k+/month level, but the real savings at smaller shipping volumes is having them pick up the packages. You will need a registered scale and the company's proprietary printer and labels, an internet connection and an account (which will require a minimum $$ commitment). No serious discounts at that level, but think about what it costs to drive across town to a shipping drop-off.
You don't need any of that to have them pick up. We average $25,000/yr right now and have a basic scale and use xpsship and all of them pick up from us.

bannertime

Ebay insisted to my wife that if she offered free shipping, she would sell more and her business would grow!

Free shipping works really well for companies that have negotiated rates, ship the same size boxes frequently, and are able to build that additional cost into the sell price. Blindly offering free shipping is really, really, dumb.

do you think there is a ups ,/ fed ex forum that asks. How can I get signs cheaper ? I wonder...?

Let's examine this. Does FedEx or UPS have a forum? Probably not. If they did, it's probably just like every other forum where people ask on and off topic questions, sometimes related to saving money! Would FedEx or UPS want to have cheaper signs? Yeah! I imagine they did ask them questions, and then, they ended up in the print business. Or did you forget about that?

flyplainsdrifta

the only thing ive found that works is when you push enough volume, you can leverage rates against each other. just a lot of negotiating. were primarily web based so 95% of our stuff is shipped and because were shipping 3 to 6 (stacked 4ft high) pallets worth of boxes each day between fedex ground, express, and ups. at a certain point its just about volume and leverage