• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to get more sales?

biggmann

I am slowly taking over more and more responsibilities at the shop and one thing im ready to tackle is to bring in more business. Customers coming in and looking for a sign, thats no problem what im after is going out and getting the business from business's that don't know about us, that want larger signs/can letters etc. My question is how exactly do you go about that. I dont know if cold calling is the way to go and how do you find the places that are looking for pylons or channel letters. In a perfect world we would hire a salesman that would drive around and canvas our city and every surrounding city but that's not in the books (yet). Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

TXFB.INS

drive around look for business with bad signs and isolate them.

or if lazy Google earth, street view and go that way with cold calling

Z SIGNS

Gain a reputation as the "go to person" among the discerning in your locale.
How to do that is another topic

visual800

Chheck you city county permits, chase bulldozers (i do it) if you see groundbreaking make a call. If you see a coming soon sign, make a call. Dont be scared all they can do is say no

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Gain a reputation as the "go to person" among the discerning in your locale.
How to do that is another topic

:goodpost: I agree completely.

Expanding on that ... while you can garner orders by cold calling, it will generate the lowest quality business and and some of the worst clients you will ever acquire. I never cold call. Either the customer comes to me or they invite me to come to them.

This may happen as a result of advertising or, more often, as a result of our work being seen and appreciated. I want to always be the sign professional in the sales encounter and my client to have a recognized need for some signage. I firmly believe that you will get the best sales results simply by producing the best work you are capable of producing and by exceeding the client's expectations on a regular basis.

legacyborn

I joined a local BNI chapter. My sales have exploded. Can't say it would be the same for everyone, but I went as a guest and walked away with nearly $2000 in business and joined the following week. It has now become the majority of my business and its all quality referrals with people who don't haggle with price.

signagesic

Maybe you can try facebook, add the customers and then you will in a group, and let customers make advertisements for you

rjssigns

This won't help but,

All I have to do lately is leave the shop. Every time I leave the phone rings off the hook and internet orders pop up. Wife says I need to leave more often...

biggmann

Thanks guys, with now staff here now we are working on being the go to buys for signs with the positive attitude and producing more than they expected, that is working by far but I think I am going to do the chasing bulldozers, like you said the worst they can do is say no but at least they know I exist.

Sounds a little silly but when I'm looking for new customers, I sometimes will go and grab a cup of coffee and take a seat outside of one of the gas stations off of the interstate near the shop. I'll bring a notebook and write down businesses that I see that have wraps when they come to fill up, especially ones with older wraps or not very professional ones.

This approach is geared towards the wrap industry but it's an easy way to find customers that already see a value in wrapping their vehicles. I've done this several times and have varied degrees of success. It's actually surprising but probably about half of the folks that I've picked up some business from have worked with shops that have gone out of business and the customer wasn't sure of who to call.

Just my two cents,

Chris

neil_se

I joined a local BNI chapter. My sales have exploded. Can't say it would be the same for everyone, but I went as a guest and walked away with nearly $2000 in business and joined the following week. It has now become the majority of my business and its all quality referrals with people who don't haggle with price.
We've done at least 200k through BNI referrals over the past few years, very worthwhile if you can fine a good chapter.

legacyborn

$470 initial fee plus 150 for the application fee. Plus whatever the room fee is (Ours is $150 a quarter) Plus a commitment at least once a week. It sounds like a lot but it has been great for us.

-
Logan

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
On your site, you have work all over the world... well, maybe not all
over the world but seems you already have the capacity to develop sales
from those clients if you have a market reach from Australia to Arizona...

One of the clients on your portfolio page is a client of mine. You should
have opportunities to get work from them, they are developing over 40
projects right now throughout the US and Canada...

I don't see your company on the database so it must be an oversight that
you are not getting bids, you should contact them. In fact, contact all your
clients that do property management.

royster13

IMO if you are catering to a Canadian market, you lose something by having a .org domain....However, you do host in Canada which gives you a little edge over sites that host in other countries.....IMO Google.ca favours Canadian IP addresses over elsewhere....

IslandSignWorks

Networking. Networking. Networking.

Network with people who are witness to the moment of change in businesses. Businesses need signage when they get created, relocate, expand, get bought out, rebrand, etc. My best referrals come from these people in my network, like:

- Architects
- Builders
- Lawyers who do incorporations
- Printers
- Graphic Designers who do print materials like brochures and biz cards
- Marketing consultants
- Commercial insurance and real estate brokers
- Builders and trades people
- HR/Benefits consultants
- Banks that do small business lending
- Business coaches

Network aggressively. You should be at networking events a few times a week. We belong to several chambers of commerce, networking groups, and attend business-focused luncheons and after-hours meetings. Learn how to break the ice. Be a good listener. Ask questions. If you get some interest, don't be afraid to follow up with that person. Ask for a business card. Following up and solving a customer's problem is very different from being a pushy sales person. If you meet someone like the one listed above, don't be afraid to ask them to send you business. If you wait for someone to come up and talk to you, you're going to be waiting a while.

The best way I get business from people is to ask them to coffee just to talk, but find the RIGHT people to talk to or you're wasting your time. It's not unusual for me to close several thousand dollars in business a week just from networking and word-of-mouth referrals. Mass emails and mailers don't have nearly the ROI as making a personal connection.

When you *do* find a client or get a referral from someone, stay on it. Return phone calls and emails immediately. Turn around your quotes quickly. I love taking work from my competitors when the customer tells me that "Gee, I called X and they never called me back," and I get the business because I called them right back and got them a quote in 48 hours.

A few other tips:

- Post projects on your Facebook page. "Like" your customer's page and share the photos with them. Customer's love in-progress photos. Now your company is visible to everyone else who sees their feed.

- Keep your portfolio of work on your website up to date. Oh, and have a legit looking website. With Wordpress and Drupal, anyone can make a decent looking website.

- Manage the SEO on your website so that you're findable. I just heard from a customer (marketing company) that our SEO sucks, so we're in the process of redoing this.

- Use a CRM system. We use SugarCRM, mostly because it's open source and free. Use it religiously to track contacts and conduct campaigns If you get a business card from someone, drill it into the CRM. Don't have time? Use Mechanical Turk. You can get that stuff done for pennies. It will also do email campaigns like Constant Contact if the server is set up properly. Use email campaigns judiciously. People hate spam. Never create an email campaign to look like a newsletter, because they never get read. Use it to send business correspondence.

- Believe it or not people still use the Yellow Pages and old-school stuff like that. Make sure you're visible where people go when they need business services.

Be a resource for clients and people in your network. Be the knowledgable person who people call when they have problems with whatever. Look at what you're good at - is it IT stuff? Is it sales or marketing? Is it graphic design? Is it simply the sheer depth of your network? If people see you as a resource, they will call you. Take their call or answer your email and provide that assistance, even if there is no immediate work for you. This is called "top of mind." Those people who are top-of-mind will be the ones who get the work when it becomes available.

Most importantly, don't be afraid to work hard. As the old adage goes: "If you want something done, give it to a busy person." Sales is a constant thing - almost 24/7. Some customers only respond to emails at 11:00 PM at night or 5:00 AM. Watch for those. Many times I've heard from customers who say "I'm glad to have someone who works as hard as I do," even though I'm just looking at my phone while I'm watching TV or something. This is all easier to do when you own the business like I do, but then again - this is the speed of business. if you want to be valuable to your employers, prove your worth.

Personally, if I hire someone and pay them out of my own profits I want them to work as hard as I do.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Stanton

Networking. Networking. Networking.

- Architects
- Builders
- Lawyers who do incorporations
- Printers
- Graphic Designers who do print materials like brochures and biz cards
- Marketing consultants
- Commercial insurance and real estate brokers
- Builders and trades people
- HR/Benefits consultants
- Banks that do small business lending
- Business coaches

Network aggressively.

Business is a lifestyle.
Does not matter how good a craft person you may be.