• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to get your printer off the truck!

petrosgraphics

Get a flatbed car hauler to winch it on his truck and then he can back up to your door and tilt the bed and let it slide down. This is how we unload Large CNC machines.
flat bed hauler is way to go. winch it onto the flat bed, slide it down the ramp. just set up a delivery time and have everyone there...we do this all the time. companies think everyone has a forklift or a loading dock

Stinky Prints

Funny, just came across this thread after going through this two days ago - getting a Latex 365 off a truck with only a typical lift gate. Packaged was about 120" long 740lbs and HP's palatalization wouldn't win any awards. Renting a forklift for 30min would have been the call (the flatbed idea sounds great also), but there we were, sitting in our alley, in the rain, with the truck driver staring at me and no time to go rent a forklift. Lumber yard down the street wouldn't allow theirs off premises.

First thought was find another delivery truck in the neighborhood, have them backup to ours and use two lift gates to lower the printer to the ground. None around. Next option was pull the printer onto the lift diagonally let it overhang off the corner, trying to keep it within HP's spec for support (better pallets would have helped...) and letting our pallet jack float in space for a bit. Then there was enough room to slide the tail end out of the truck so it sat horizontally across the lift, then and lower the printer to the ground. After that pick it with a pallet jack on each end and take it where you want.

For smaller rotating and sliding movements good ole' Archimedes comes in very handy (give me a lever and I can move the world). We keep a hefty "spud bar" around the shop that can be used to (slowly) but easily inch pallets and equipment around in a pinch. Stick the flat end of the bar about 2-3" under a pallet, lift the other end to pry/slide, repeat and you can make surprising progress that is gentle on the equipment. Overall it actually worked really smoothly, but I'll make better plans for the next one.

Few pix - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-8jkZIOwkef3WLYyJ-cT8nsBO_N932bM?usp=sharing

particleman

My driver used a combination of ratchet straps and two pallet jacks to get my 560 to the lift gate. We got it without a forklift but it wasn't easy. Required a lot of repositioning so we could safely lower it without holding it.

Would have been much easier to rent a forklift for a day or as others have said or hire a flatbed wrecker.

OPENSignsInc.

We never got anything that big but, we got a couple 4x8 tables on casters that we've used to get it off the truck and inside our building at least. Then find a couple buddies to help lift it off the table if its still too big after unboxing.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We always hire riggers. They are insured and they bring their own equipment. Often times it's not a ton more than the cost of forklift rental plus the extra labor you need around to move the equipment. Depends on the size of the equipment and printer though.