• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to laminate using backing paper

JPR-5690

Im new with laminators so pardon my ignorance.

Just got a new 65 RS heat assist laminator and I can't for the life of me figure out how to load a roll of kraft paper to use as backing for laminating small prints. The attached video shows what Im trying to do, although they're using some white backing paper in the video and I'm just trying to use a roll of kraft paper.

The video shows the backing paper being loaded underneath of the loading table...could I just run it from the spool, under the idle roller, and then back up over the loading table?

Also would I turn the heater on before or after threading the laminate?

help :/

myront

CorelDRAW is best
ok, the laminate comes on a roll with a paper liner. When laminating you have to put an empty cardboard tube on as your "takeup" reel. Pull the laminate and paper backer thru and tape it paper side down to the takeup tube. Roll it a bit and pull away the leading edge of the plastic laminate and....

btw most laminate is cold pressed on, not heated. We only use heat for encapsulating.

bannertime

ok, the laminate comes on a roll with a paper liner. When laminating you have to put an empty cardboard tube on as your "takeup" reel. Pull the laminate and paper backer thru and tape it paper side down to the takeup tube. Roll it a bit and pull away the leading edge of the plastic laminate and....

btw most laminate is cold pressed on, not heated. We only use heat for encapsulating.

I think you missed the whole point of OP's post.

Just load up the kraft paper as if you were going to laminate it. Then you can laminate smaller rolls as it's feeding through. Or use a sled for really small sheets.

signgal605

The kraft paper doesn't go up over the loading table. It will go underneath the loading area straight through the rollers. I always found it easier to web the laminator before the heat was turned on.

Emd2kick

Uhh you do realize heat is also used to eliminate silvering....you new here?

Emd2kick

Just got a new 65 RS heat assist laminator and I can't for the life of me figure out how to load a roll of kraft paper to use as backing for laminating small prints. The attached video shows what Im trying to do, although they're using some white backing paper in the video and I'm just trying to use a roll of kraft paper.

The video shows the backing paper being loaded underneath of the loading table...could I just run it from the spool, under the idle roller, and then back up over the loading table?

Heat on after laminate is threaded will be easier for you.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Uhh you do realize heat is also used to eliminate silvering....you new here?

Not new! Been doing it this way for 15+ years. I will admit it's been my only experience with laminating/encapsulating.
Go easy on me I was merely trying to help in any way I can.

Sign Pro Salina

We have the same laminator shown in the video. Here are a few photos of how the kraft paper should be loaded. Hope these help. This model does not have the heat function. Our old laminator did, however we only used it a handful of times in 10 years. You don't necessarily need to use heat. Silvering will disappear given some time should you have any appear. I would web first then turn the heat on.

Attachments

• IMG_6298.JPG
    IMG_6298.JPG
    317.5 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_6299.JPG
    IMG_6299.JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_6300.JPG
    IMG_6300.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_6301.JPG
    IMG_6301.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_6302.JPG
    IMG_6302.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 276

JPR-5690

We have the same laminator shown in the video. Here are a few photos of how the kraft paper should be loaded. Hope these help. This model does not have the heat function. Our old laminator did, however we only used it a handful of times in 10 years. You don't necessarily need to use heat. Silvering will disappear given some time should you have any appear. I would web first then turn the heat on.

Thanks, those photos were useful.

Is there a trick to loading the kraft paper so it doesn't wrinkle?

Sign Pro Salina

Thanks, those photos were useful.

Is there a trick to loading the kraft paper so it doesn't wrinkle?
We've found that the smoother you can get the laminate to lay on the roller before sticking the kraft paper to it, the less wrinkles we'll get. Calendered laminate is easier to get to start smooth due to the nature of it being thicker. Cast laminate is harder to start smooth. Cast laminate is much like trying to get Saran wrap smooth over the roller.