• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to make corel x4 work faster

tomence

i just got corel x4 installed on my pc wich uses windows vista and i was surprised how slow these x4 is my previous version x3 worked just fine but these one takes a lot of time to do anything and sometimes it will freeze and say program not responding and will stay like that for like about 5 minutes.
So does anyone know how to fix these problem maybe change few things around corel or anywhere in vista.
thanks

tomence

i do have 3 gigs of ram and i cannot put anymore also i think that is enough ram and did remove x3

Mosh

That should be enough. We have 3G on one of our machines that run x14. The only thing we run on that one is Corel and versaworks, so there is nothing else on it.
sorry I was not more help.

R08

I'm running x4 on one machine with 2 gig (the other 4gb) so you seem to be ok.
While it's running check your performance in the task manager to see what resourses are being used.

tomence

i guess i am gonna go back to my old pc wich runs xp and install x3 on it
somehow x4 gives me to much headache i was thinking it would be much better but everything is same so no need for it. I just do lots of truck signs and dont need it for any special hardcore effects.
at least i gave it a try

neato

Same problems here. I'm not sure it's Corel though, I'm thinking its Vista. I've just learned to save CONSTANTLY since it crashes so much

Mosh

I guess I didn't notice the Vista part. We have one system still on Vista and it is slower than the XP and W7 machines we have in the shop. Try putting it on your XP one and see what it does.

tomence

since you mentioned windows 7 how is it working on that OS
i was thinking of upgrading to W7 but still not sure if it is the right move to do.
Also i will try running x4 on my xp and see how it is gonna perform.
and yes you have to save everything all the time
i wish they did better job with corel i really like this software coz thats all i use all day long havent touched illustrator at all eventhou i have it but never used it.

Mosh

My advise is get a system with it loaded already. We have one that is AWESOME. We tryed to just upgrade one and it sucked. We ended up just going back to XP on it. I am not any kind on computer guy, so that miht be part of it. I plan on getting another & system in the next month or two.

neato

In corel X4 disable live text! It will run faster!

Just tried to find the live text option, do you remember where it is?

Also, in searching for that, I found an option for memory usage. It looks like this places a cap on your RAM usage. Mines currently set at 25% (I have 3 gigs). I'm assuming that's the factory setting. Should I change that?

BadAss

Yes, your memory should be at around 60%. and change your amount of saves as well. You will be glad you did...

tomence

ok guys can somebody of you tell us step by step how to increase the memory % and cancel live text and whatever else we need to do.

Also i installed x4 on my old pc which runs xp and has only 512mb of ram
and you won't believe how fast it works on these machine even x3 on my vista was slower.
So i guess xp is the way to go.

neato

that was my fear.

After another frustrating morning of Corel crashes, I think I'm ready to bite the bullet and upgrade to windows 7.

signmeup

Also i installed x4 on my old pc which runs xp and has only 512mb of ram
and you won't believe how fast it works on these machine So i guess xp is the way to go.
I was getting worried.....I just ordered x4 and I only have 1 gig of ram but I run XP so I guess I'll be fine.