• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to make outdoor backlit signage

Pideas

I'm never created a sign like this attached image before. It's Lexan / Acrylic 3/16" material. The sign is backlit. Can someone give me suggestions on how to create a sign like this using my HP Latex printer?

backlit signage sample.JPG

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Are you using that same piece of acrylic? All you have to do is print some cast translucent vinyl and apply to the face of the acrylic.

Joe House

Or cut red translucent vinyl on a plotter - I know, this isn't using your printer, but seems like a better product in this case. When printing for a backlit sign, you either need to sandwich some prints or put up with a washed out print when backlit or an oversaturated print when the lights are off.

Pideas

I will being using a new piece of acrylic. This existing piece looks like it was printed on and not vinyl lettering.
When you say cast translucent vinyl, do you mean a full rectangular sheet (not cut out lettering right?)

I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I can do using my latex printer.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I will being using a new piece of acrylic. This existing piece looks like it was printed on and not vinyl lettering.
When you say cast translucent vinyl, do you mean a full rectangular sheet (not cut out lettering right?)

I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I can do using my latex printer.

Yes, but you could just print it and cut out the letters if you want to use your printer. Easiest way is to just to do cut vinyl letters and apply. More than likely they printed that with a flatbed printer.

Pideas

Thanks BigFish. The new sign i'm working on will have a large solid red background so I don't believe vinyl lettering would work.

ironchef

I don't have much experience with translucent, but last week I did a full color 4x8 mounted on acrylic using my hp 570. Print came out super nice, not having any profiles, i used the generic Backlit profile, 20 passes at 200%. The hp said it couldn't color calibrate on clear or Backlit media, oh well. My only problem I had was mounting it with the laminator, which gave me tons of little bubbles. So I had to do a wet install by hand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kottwitz-Graphics

Cut translucent vinyl all the way.

If it has a red background, what colors are the graphics? If it is wider than a roll, just put a small overlap (1/8" or so) and you will be fine...

I just did a 5' × 7' with yellow copy, black background, and a small printed graphics. I just simply applied yellow blocks and reverse cut the black background vinyl.
Thanks BigFish. The new sign i'm working on will have a large solid red background so I don't believe vinyl lettering would work.

tetonsio

By the picture I could tell, maybe, it is dedicated Backlit material. I used a lot in the past when Encad was alive. Backlit brand Kodak reverse mirror printing, glossy on the front so there is no way to damaged or need to laminate besides is a 240 gms. strong resistant material. Lexjet has Backlit dedicated film. You can find front printing material but in my opinion is better the reverse printing. I also used polycarbonate for ink jet, super.

czar2178

I have started doing a good number of these signs lately every since i got my Flatbed printer. I basically print directly to the acrylic and you can either Cold laminate it or use liquid laminate 24-48 hours after its printed and then you are done, go to the site and install. Before the flatbed printer I use to print it on translucent material on my solvent printer, laminate it then mount it to the acrylic both ways work just keep in mind from what i have noticed you have to make the colors DARK by hitting it multiple times because when the light is on at night those colors tend to pop out more.

Pideas

I have started doing a good number of these signs lately every since i got my Flatbed printer. I basically print directly to the acrylic and you can either Cold laminate it or use liquid laminate 24-48 hours after its printed and then you are done, go to the site and install. Before the flatbed printer I use to print it on translucent material on my solvent printer, laminate it then mount it to the acrylic both ways work just keep in mind from what i have noticed you have to make the colors DARK by hitting it multiple times because when the light is on at night those colors tend to pop out more.
Czar, how do you go about printing something multiple times on a roll to roll printer? I've never done that before.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to see what the end product for this sign face will look like ??

That could very easily determine everything for you.

henryz

Depending on your RIP or print software you should be able to do a double strike print, what we normally do is a double print and if you search the forum you will find this topic mentioned before.

ironchef

So which way is the best. When I had my grimco tech they just told me to print using a Backlit profile which uses 20 pass at 200%

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I can't tell you what is the best way or not, as there are so many ways to produce a great backlit, but the answer to your question is still, no.

If you think 100% ink coverage is what you are putting down, and by going to 200% will solve it...... you better go talk to someone in great length as to what those numbers really mean.

Corwin Steeves

Large format printer to the stars
Print it on a clear adhesive backed vinyl using the backlit mode, laminate and apply to the translucent acrylic. Easy peasy. :)