• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help How to make plate not see through

nssignguy

Hi,

I make a 3/16" thick polycarbonate plate with an Edge 10mil lexedge black background with white text overlay laid down on top with adhesive, then the cutouts are routered out. They backlight this so the text is lighted up to see in the dark and the issue is that light gets through the black and ruins the look of the panel. My question is how to stop this and make the black less opaque but still see the white text. I was wondering if there are any Gerber foils that are less see through, surprisingly the black lets quite a bit of light through? Or if this doesn't work I was thinking about using black vinyl on the back and then cutting out slots for the text, but this adds cost and is a pain.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

signage

Use regular vinyl and cutout the lettering. If you had looked into creating double sided gerber prints you would have seen recommendations to print with either background silver background, usually 3 hits will stop most light. in your situation I would have tested if I want the gerber print to stop the light form a lit box.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
you need to use translucent black if you want to block out the light. regular black vinyl will typically have a mottled appearance.