• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to make this shadow

I've got a customer that tells me the used to get vinyl cut (paint mask) to look like this.
I've tried in flexi and corel draw but cannot make the back and bottom shadows come out like these.. Anyone got any pointers??
These people are making me feel like a rookie...

Attachments

• n31v.jpg
    n31v.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 63

ProWraps

create your shadow, use an offset path to get the separation in the cut.

takes two seconds.

Attachments

• offset_shadow.pdf
    208.5 KB · Views: 51
Type it, copy and paste it, color one gray and one black, put the black to the back and move it so it looks like the shadow and then put a white outline to the gray type.

ProWraps

Type it, copy and paste it, color one gray and one black, put the black to the back and move it so it looks like the shadow and then put a white outline to the gray type.

that white outline will need to be the offset path. that path will be used to cut into the shadow creating the offset appearance.

instead of an outline, use the path. thats how you will need to do it to cut it out of the vinyl.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Bayshore and Prowraps -- what you described and what the OP posted are two different kinds of shadows -- take another look...

ProWraps

3d boxed shadow.

create your 3d shadow, then use the same technique above.

or just hope they dont notice.

MikePro

illlustrator effects > 3D > extrude & bevel

subtract an offset path from the N to give the outline that seperates the grey/black

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Maybe there is an easier way to do this in Corel -- I'm not sure -- but this is how I do it...

<edit> -- relevant image is on second page of PDF...

Attachments

• dropshade.pdf
    28 KB · Views: 97

John Butto

because you have to have the points go up at a angle, not squared off, its the way signpainters did the drop swadow

Border

It's ultra-easy in Signlab at least. Would be doing some head scratching in any other program though, til I researched it.

What program are you trying to achieve it with???

Border

About 30 seconds in Signlab. Then again, I am kinda slow.

-could've used a little less offset to leave that little piece of shadow in the top of the 1.

Attachments

• shadow.jpg
    shadow.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 63
bcbop--- how long ago was that???

I guess they are repainting the plane....
I've got it done in flexi and they will make correctiong to make it match..
The angle at the top of the shadows is the kicker..