Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make this sign?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Pideas, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Pideas

Pideas Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Alexandria, Virginia
    How is a sign like the attached photo made?

I think it's acrylic material being held with standoffs. I've never produced a sign like this before but wanted to find out if I could do it with my HP Latex.

[​IMG]

Tags:
  2. showie

showie New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Barrie, Ontario
    Clear acrylic with full cover digital print on a frosted vinyl, installed with stand offs and caps over the screws.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pideas

Pideas Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Alexandria, Virginia
    So just print onto clear frosted vinyl and mount directly onto the acrylic?
    Thanks for your suggestion.

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Print onto regular clear and use a matte lam on the back side if you don't have frosted on hand. Set the printer to something like 18 passes so the logo is as opaque as possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jun Lanon

Jun Lanon Member

Oct 9, 2018
    California
    Spot white reverse direct print on a flatbed directly on the material. I've printed many of these.

6. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    assuming you have a roll to roll HP instead of a flatbed
    Also assuming you do not have white ink

print to a frosted material (reverse image), make sure to you use heavy ink coverage(many passes)
    install onto the 2nd side (backside) of clear acrylic, this will show the correct orientation when viewed on the front side
    mount using standoffs,

would suggest drilling the holes BEFORE applying the vinyl.

7. Pideas

Pideas Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Yes, it's a roll to roll HP latex printer with no white ink.

Thanks for the suggestions. For the holes, would any drill bit work on acrylic or do I need a special drill bit?

8. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    make sure your drill bits are SHARP.
    we have a dedicated set for acrylic,

you are "supposed" to use special bits, but use what works for you.
    we like https://www.harborfreight.com/titanium-split-point-drill-bit-set-29-pc-61715.html

NOTE: regardless of the bit you use, MAKE SURE you start with a small bit and increase one size at a time until you have the desired diam.
    also, make sure to use tape on the front/back of the acrylic where you are drilling

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I have a lennox unibit (step bit, cone bit, whatever you call it) that I use exclusively on this stuff. with an 1/8" pilot hole I can turn the unibit by hand and slowly but surely make my hole without sweating the whole time!

10. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I use the step bits from Harbor Freight for drilling holes in acrylic. They're cheap and drill perfect holes. Have never drilled a pilot hole first, I just use the step bit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Martin Denton

Martin Denton Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Manchester, UK
    Best way to drill acrylic is with a tile drip (shaped like pointed spade). I can drill a piece of 5mm thick at 10mm from edge with 12mm bit with no risk of cracking. Best discovery I ever made ...