• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to open up the center of an O, or D etc.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Most of the files I've looked at from BOTW follow an approach of using white for centers to avoid compounding. Most of the files I've examined from there as well have been generated in CorelDRAW. Since Corel has had ongoing problems generating EPS and AI files that contain compounded shapes, this may be the reason for the white centers ... simply to avoid compounding.

This causes problems and confusion however when it gets to vinyl cutting. It would, for example be a rare situation where one would actually want to cut the black and then the white holes separately and overlay them on the black. You would instead want to cut the entire layer from black vinyl.

Compounding is something that is needed for printing and, in some applications, screen display. It is not needed for vinyl cutting. All that is needed is correct vinyl color assignment as shown in the screen shot from Gerber Omega attached. The only difference in the two examples is that the right hand example has had all white vinyl reassigned as black. There is no compounding or knockout or welding or anything else done to it.

Attachments

• host5.jpg
    host5.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 108

THUNDERflea

OK, I know this is waaaaay late, but someone else might need this:

All you need to do is select the part you want to fix and hit combine curves in the curve edit section.

I figured that out from trying to do the same thing with multicolored eps or ai files.

skyhigh

mine is way late too... I missed this thread.
In flexi, if you select all the letters (centers and all) and change everything to black or whatever color, then go to cut. Visually on the screen, your centers will be filled in, but you will still have that cut line for the centers, so you can weed them out. You need not do anything else.

Other than that, if you really wanted to open up the centers, use the exclude common feature and that will knock out the centers. Maybe this is what Fred is saying also, only in different terminology. Fred knows all them big words and many more programs. I only know flexi.

iSign

I think the problem was obvious... they were taking Fred's signature too literally. I think sometimes you need to take your eye OFF the doughnut.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
book_worm_closeup_blink_sm_wht.gif
Was I being obtuse again?

For those who don't know any better, Flexi has a better solution than just compounding objects. It is the Path Direction command. It is located in the Arrange menu.

To use it, just select whatever you want and execute Arrange > Path Direction > Automatic.

This will then combine all objects that have shapes within shapes that are also the same color ... while not altering those objects that do not meet that description. The benefit is that compounded objects will not become big blocks of multiple objects and act like grouped objects.

iSign

thanks fred, thats a good tip. I hate having to "compound" several letters seperately just to maintain the freedom to move them seperately. I've needed to revise line spacing or even kerning on imported "text" blocks that are already converted to outlines & if they need compounding (or combining) it has created just the problem Fred's tip prevents.

I have a small tip while we're on this old topic. Many times Illustrator fails to produce the desired result when using the object pull-down menu to choose "compound path>make" ... but whenever it fails, I use the "exclude" icon in the "pathfinder" pallette & this will always save the day for me. I have never figured what specific issues require this method, but when the other fails, I rely on this.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Fred Weiss said:
Most of the files I've looked at from BOTW follow an approach of using white for centers to avoid compounding. Most of the files I've examined from there as well have been generated in CorelDRAW. Since Corel has had ongoing problems generating EPS and AI files that contain compounded shapes, this may be the reason for the white centers ... simply to avoid compounding.

I meant to reply about this a few months ago.

While Corel does have it own bugs, I don't think it does a bad job exporting logos in EPS. I generally prefer its EPS output compared to AI export. The program only tends to run into trouble when trying to export Corel-dependent effects to other formats (powerclips, certain gradient fills, transparancy "lens" effects, etc.). But then that is a problem that exists for ALL drawing applications. That's one of the reasons why Illustrator added that "flatten transparancy" command. It makes things much easier when you need to export art to another application.

But using IllustratorCS2, it's just as easy for me to open the native CorelDRAW file as is within Illustrator.

Anyway, regarding the Brands of the World artwork, I don't think it has anything to do with CorelDRAW bugs. I think they're just storing EPS files in as compatible a format as possible. The earliest versions of Illustrator didn't support compound paths. Such objects had to be simulated, either by slicing the objects or filling the counters with different colors (which is typically the case for BOTW artwork).

---somewhat off topic BOTW rant below---

Overall, I consider Brands of the World artwork to be more of a liability than a service. I feel like I'm the only one leveling the criticism, but their logos often stink. Many are poor quality recreations and not authentic artwork. You can use such logos as placeholders in a fast comp but little else.

Here's where the liability comes into play. Months or years down the road you may need the same brand mark again. You do a hard drive search and that file comes up. There's a chance you might have forgot the artwork was not authentic. Or worse, someone else in the studio could pull it up and use it without knowing the art is compromised.

If I'm in a time crunch and need a logo from a major corporation immediately, I'll visit their website and scour for PDFs that may contain vector versions of their logos -such as an annual report or online brochure. Pull it up in Illustrator and everything is set.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I can't agree on Corel doing a satisfactory job of exporting the AI format. It loves to break any combined vectors into segmented paths as shown in the following example and which is then a problem for vinyl cutting:

Attachments

• Corel Combining.jpg
    Corel Combining.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 105

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Fred, that's a real easy problem to fix.

When CorelDRAW exports artwork in AI format it defaults to simulating combined objects by slicing them. This default sticks regardless of what version you choose to export, even though this is only done for compatibility with the earliest versions of Illustrator (which next to nobody uses anymore unless they have a museum piece 1980's Mac that still works).

Be sure to uncheck the box "simluate complex curves". Any exports to AI format after that should feature the box unchecked.

Still, with version CS2 of Illustrator, I seem to prefer its ability to open CorelDRAW 9 files rather than use Corel to export to Illustrator format.

Attachments

• CorelAIexportoptions.gif
    CorelAIexportoptions.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 115

skyhigh

Thanks Fred for the tip on the "Path direction command" that is an easy solution.

As far as compounding letters seperately to maintain their "independence" as doug mentioned, (that could be extremely time consuming) I would have compounded the whole, then converted to outlines. If doug hadn't mentioned the problem with items being "welded" together, I probably would have continued doing it my way.

Your path direction tip is the ultimate best way to do it, and one I didn't know.

thank you.