Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to paint onto PVC

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by VicoDrive, Jan 20, 2019.

1. VicoDrive

VicoDrive Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Richmond
    I am looking to replace a wooden sign I once made with another identical one using PVC so its more weather resistant. It will also require being painted. I generally use acrylic on my wood signs and they are more for indoor use, but are there any steps I need to take when it comes to painting on PVC? Does the paint stick? Should it be sealed with something after?

2. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
  3. VicoDrive

VicoDrive Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Richmond
  4. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    We lightly sand the edges of the letters and Scotchbrite the faces and then fog coat the first coat. You do have to wait a day to do the second coat, but it covers pretty well and levels really nicely. It creates a really nice hard finish that doesn't need any topcoat.

5. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    We spray all of our PVC and we prime with 2 part epoxy (a loto of guys dont prime, but we do) We use BEHR paint, satin. had excellent results....BE SURE you tell your distributor you want exterior pvc