• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How To Prepare Sending Files Out?

149motorsports

I only use flexi sign cloud version 10. I do all my design artwork in there.

When I am exporting the files to my guy that printers from another business, he says they are losing colors or not all there. Example the word FOOD which is all red, may have FO in red and the other 2 in white.

Somewhere along the line of saving the file this is happening where colors are being changed or not there.

What is the best way to export a file and file type (if you could give me the steps).

Thanks!

henryz

Perhaps you are not converting outlines to objects, make sure you are 100% scale, I normally export as eps or pdf. never fails.

149motorsports

I did convert everything to outlines. Could my computer be the issue with GB or ram/memory when saving files perhaps??

Here is the way I do eps.

Click export, unclick suppress options, and save as eps.

d fleming

Try export as pdf , check your oprtions in settings in export tab for preferences that apply. "Export vectors as shown on screen", etc

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Pdf is most universal (ENSURE FONTS ARE CONVERTED) Rarely eps as most have fountain fills/blends/gradients. DO NOT MAKE EPS FILES IF ANY OF THESE FILLS ARE PRESENT.

ThatGuy

I had the same issue with Flexi at times. It would take an outline and place it on top of the outlined object or letter during export. The only way to confirm this is open the exported file in flexi and the problem will appear. The original file will not show this problem. I have had to separate and ungroup all effects and move them forward or back on layers even though the original file appears correct. I never found a correction to prevent this.

Another reason I have moved to Adobe and away from Flexi.

149motorsports

The lower right hand one has the red missing in the lettering and it turned to white. I attached the picture of what he sent me.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 362

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looking at the image it seems the "BAR" text/paths are either open or are wound the wrong direction on export.
Need to either close the path or use the "Path Direction" tool to flip the direction and try exporting again.
Not sure if Flexi will fill open paths the way Illustrator can, maybe no need to try and close the paths.

I would not be confident sending Flexi generated vector files to someone else to open and print (Flexi & FUBAR both begin with the letter F).
I'd flatten everything to a single layer bitmap at production size (except the contour cut lines, if you have them) and send it as a pdf.

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

149motorsports

Thanks Wayne.
Are you able to give me step by step for this "I'd flatten everything to a single layer bitmap at production size (except the contour cut lines, if you have them) and send it as a pdf."

I want to try it out and send to my printing guy to see what he gets on his end as he has flexi also.
Thank you.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Thanks Wayne.
Are you able to give me step by step for this "I'd flatten everything to a single layer bitmap at production size (except the contour cut lines, if you have them) and send it as a pdf."

I want to try it out and send to my printing guy to see what he gets on his end as he has flexi also.
Thank you.

Now we have new info.
If your printer has Flexi that is the best format to keep it in. No need to introduce PDF issues into the work flow. Just confirm that his version is at least 10 or higher (same or higher level than you or you will have to save down and that can add more fun to the job).
You shouldn't have to rasterize sending flexi to flexi but if that has already failed:
Select everything in the file go to the "Bitmap" pull down > rasterize > check the transparent box > resolution to 150/ 200 (depending on how large the print is and how small the details are) > OK
With the bitmap selected >Effects > contour cut > set the options you want > Ok
Save the file to the version of Flexi your printer can read.
That should do it.

If the same part of letters turn white when you rasterize the whole file then you'll need to go back to vectors and select the paths and use the "path direction" options under the "arrange" tab to sort it out.
If they won't stay red - post a small section of the file here that has the issue for someone here to take a look at.

If you are up to it you may want to take a look at using CorelDraw or Illustrator - once you get the hang of either of those your print life will be much simpler.

wayne k
guam usa

shoresigns

Looking at the image it seems the "BAR" text/paths are either open or are wound the wrong direction on export.
Need to either close the path or use the "Path Direction" tool to flip the direction and try exporting again.
Not sure if Flexi will fill open paths the way Illustrator can, maybe no need to try and close the paths.

I would not be confident sending Flexi generated vector files to someone else to open and print (Flexi & FUBAR both begin with the letter F).
I'd flatten everything to a single layer bitmap at production size (except the contour cut lines, if you have them) and send it as a pdf.

wayne k
guam usa

You could export to PDF and then open it in Adobe Reader to confirm that everything looks correct, before sending it to your print vendor. That's a pretty safe way to avoid errors. Ditching Flexi and using Illustrator is safer, though.

AKwrapguy

I would still stay with PDF.. while this particular issue is with Flexi, and yes you can flatten/raster the image and send it but overall sending PDF's is a universal format that can be used buy almost every program. If I create it in Photoshop I can save as an editable PDF so that you can open it in Photoshop and edit if needed but still view it on almost any machine. I can create it in Illustration and save as a PDF and it's still editable...and since its a PDF people will be able to open it up and view it and not delete it 'cause I couldn't open it'