• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to price lit sign boxes properly?

biggmann

We always price sign boxes we build buy taking each component such as ballast, lamps, sockets etc taking the cost adding our markup percentage added to each component so lets say we buy a ballast for $50 markup to $80, lamps for $10 markup to $15 and so forth and add all that together with the labor to build and all the aluminium and the sum is our price. I am going over all procedures at the shop because just because that's how its been done doesn't mean its right. Is this how most everyone does their pricing or we were told about another way but im not too sure about this, take the cost of components, labor, material add that all together and add markup to that sum. What is the standard way of pricing jobs like that.

earplug

We always price sign boxes we build buy taking each component such as ballast, lamps, sockets etc taking the cost adding our markup percentage added to each component so lets say we buy a ballast for $50 markup to $80, lamps for $10 markup to $15 and so forth and add all that together with the labor to build and all the aluminium and the sum is our price. I am going over all procedures at the shop because just because that's how its been done doesn't mean its right. Is this how most everyone does their pricing or we were told about another way but im not too sure about this, take the cost of components, labor, material add that all together and add markup to that sum. What is the standard way of pricing jobs like that.

If your Markup % is the same for all components then (Total Cost of Components) X (Markup) = (Sell Price) + (Labor) = (Total Selling Price)

If your Markup % is different for the components, like your example where Ballast is 1.6 and bulbs are 1.5, then your current method is what is needed.