• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How To question - Metal Sign ??

96XP

Have a customer who needs two metal signs redone. About 73"w by 45"t.
Appears it was once printed on a flatbed, and I can somewhat feel the raised text.

Is there a certain type of print media that will work on such a surface - life expectancy - prep other than a good cleaning?

signheremd

We print on Aluminum and Composites all the time. A good prep is Solv S1000 surface cleaner prep. Another is Supply55 adhesion promoter. But some suppliers sell digital ready panels already prepped from the factory.

96XP

I would just get new panels. Why risk premature failure?
Getting new metal panels is not an option at this present time, and I don't want to mislead the client, or leave myself stuck.
And as I don't have the experience in this particular area, and is at their request, I'm going to guess what would happen if I were to apply a large solid piece of print media.:

1) Heat and cold = repeated expansion and contraction.
2) Edges would start lifting/curling first.
3) Adhesive would separate from the back of the print media.
4) Dry-out and cracking would ensue.
5) Portion of the print would eventually be hanging off.
All the above correct?

Alternatives?

A) Apply print over metal base and clear-coat/seal with PPG polyurethane?
(only reason I mention this option is that I have done it a couple times on vehicles and was permanent, even after a cut/polish)

B) Would a print mounted onto Hi-Core polypropylene (or other) work for prolonged - exposed - outdoor application?

C) Decline altogether.

Thanks in advance.

AKwrapguy

Dude, this is a very simple task... Get new metal (acm or 080 or whatever). Apply a laminated print to it and be done. Printed vinyl lasts longer than direct UV print. Why would getting new panels not be an option? Here is a better idea, let a real sign company handle this job.
Ouch... but ya, this would be the way.

96XP

If your thoughts are to re-skin panels that have already been UV printed - just know that you will still see the raised image underneath.
If you cannot acquire new panels, maybe you should go with option C.

Dude, this is a very simple task... Get new metal (acm or 080 or whatever). Apply a laminated print to it and be done. Printed vinyl lasts longer than direct UV print. Why would getting new panels not be an option? Here is a better idea, let a real sign company handle this job.
Customer does not want to pay for new panels - they want to use them over. Thanks anyway; I'll figure it out.

96XP

Can you skin the back of the panel?
Very good idea, Boudica. I haven't removed them yet, however will check.
I also have a few years experience with automotive paints/primers, so could charge for the prep work and a smooth coating prior to application if necessary.
They are in good shape otherwise, no dents, scratches etc... the reason why they want to reuse.
And they are not overly concerned if the previous raised text shows slightly, as these signs will be seen from a roadway. Something I should have mentioned earlier.
If it's a go, what type of media would suit the application best?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
For this, if it were me... I would use 3M ij35c, with a Matte laminate.
... that's our standard go to for permanent cal vinyl.

Boudica

Would IJ 3510 work as well? (have in stock)
Not personally familiar... I'd have to look it up... Is it a permanent adhesive? It must work with your printer if you already have it... 35c is Air release, so it makes mounting easier. But again, if you already have it your probably used to working with it. Do you ever use it to mount fresh signs,? Then Id say it might work. But, I'm here to learn what's wrong with my ideas... From the peeps with a lot more experience than my humble 6 years. :)

96XP

Not personally familiar... I'd have to look it up... Is it a permanent adhesive? It must work with your printer if you already have it... 35c is Air release, so it makes mounting easier. But again, if you already have it your probably used to working with it. Do you ever use it to mount fresh signs,? Then Id say it might work. But, I'm here to learn what's wrong with my ideas... From the peeps with a lot more experience than my humble 6 years. :)
It is. Have had much success with it over the years and have used it on other mediums. I'll inform the customer of the way I'm doing it (which is what they are anticipating) and add in a caveat. It's still a couple weeks out for me as I'm tied up, and I'll add a seal to the edges ass well.
Thanks for the kind help, and like many others, eager to learn as I go - as we all start somewhere.

Boudica

It is. Have had much success with it over the years and have used it on other mediums. I'll inform the customer of the way I'm doing it (which is what they are anticipating) and add in a caveat. It's still a couple weeks out for me as I'm tied up, and I'll add a seal to the edges *** well.
Thanks for the kind help, and like many others, eager to learn as I go - as we all start somewhere.
There is another member here who asks a lot of honest newbie questions... You should follow gnubler
Sure they pick on her, but she has a lot of weird situation/jobs. And eventually some nuggets of good advice emerge. Gotta have a thick skin to realize good advice here. ;)