• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to remove hand-lettering from a sail boat's gel coat

dzign

Are there ways to remove brushed-on One-Shot® hand-lettering from a sailboat's gel coat? I'm going to remove this lettering from two sides, a couple of feet below the deck. I'm concerned for the surface and what happens to it when using caustic chemicals. I've used Easy-Off ® oven cleaner on truck cab doors to remove this type of enamel lettering, but haven't worked with it on gel coats yet.

Scott Reynolds

I would just buff it off with some mild compound and then hit it with a glaze. I would not recommend easy off on a boat.

visual800

get to sanding! I would go with lots of water and 1000 grit finish up with 1500grit and then buff it out. Should not bea problem just a little work

rjssigns

Can only do one letter at a time with oven cleaner, but it works. The horror stories are from people that hear about the technique from a buddies cousin's uncle. They try a little dab on a tiny spot and it works like a champ. So they baste the whole thing until its dripping and figure they will let it set a while. You can figure the rest.

What did your dad always tell you? If you don't know what it does don't f#@k with it.

Jillbeans

I speak from experience with easy off.
You can't use it in direct sunlight...which is probably where this boat is.
I think it would eat right into the gelcoat or turn it a funky color.
I myself would not care to experiment on an expensive boat.

OldPaint

SAIL BOATERS ARE THE CHEAPEST AHOLS IN THE WORLD!!!!!! now that you understand this, this is why they are wanting YOU to remove the lettering. and ill bet ITS STILL IN THE WATER!!!!! the marina people WONT work on this unless they pull it out of the water, the sailboat owners dont want to pay to have the boat take out of the water. i knew a guy in sarasota, had a 26-28 ft sailboat. he knew i did lettering.......BUT HE went out, bought lettering quills, 1-shot, spent almost 2 weeks laying out and painting the name on the boat!!!!! i coulda done it in a couple hours))))))))) and he thought he saved himself a lot of money))))).

letterman7

get to sanding! I would go with lots of water and 1000 grit finish up with 1500grit and then buff it out. Should not bea problem just a little work

X3. Gel coats are pretty resilient creatures. Make sure you know how to buff and polish, though, or hire a qualified auto detailer who does.