• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to remove right pinch roller on VS 540i

The rubber tire on my right side pinch roller for a VS 540i has started to roll off the wheel. It's causing massive skew issues. Is there any easy way to get the roller out of the machine to replace it? I've removed the block but I can't get to the screws on top of the roller to take off the clip that holding it onto the track.

amw

Longtime Members
You should just be able to remove the "c clip" on the shaft that the roller rolls on. then remove the shaft and the pinch roller can be taken out and replaced. Slide the shaft back thru the new roller and out the other side and put clip back on.
Careful when removing the clip, they can fly away and get lost inside the printer. (I put scrap vinyl adhesive side up over the platen in case i drop it).

Hope that helps.

GVP

Yes, remove 'C' clip.

Here's a tip - between the roller and the holder are two washers (one each side of the roller) - and they have to be lined up when you replace the wheel and push the shaft through. I found a small dab of grease on the side of the wheel bearing and you can stick the washer to it - makes lining it all up much easier! And you can use a paper clip to nudge them into place if they don't quite line up first time.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Super important!!!!!: the two unremovable pincroller's shape are different than the one you can put in and take out! You can not just change rubbers on the outside pinchrollers with the other ones. They have a tapered shape! You need to order the right pinchroller from your supplier.
I was also told by a tech that putting a pinch of grease to hold the washers in place is not too smart idea because eventually, the grease will make its way to the rubber's glue and the rubber wheel will fail again.

GVP and AMW, thanks for the tips, I was successful in replacing the wheel. The washers weren't a problem as I just magnetized them and stuck them on the sides. Then I saw CSOCSO's input - I noticed a tapering on the right wheel but figured it was what was causing my problem. If you're correct, and I do need a new right pinch roller, what's the procedure for replacing it?