• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to remove spray adhesive from photographs

gabagoo

I have a slight issue.... I have somehow got some small amounts of spray adhesive on the fronts of some of these photos I am glueing to boards. Is there any safe way of getting it off? They are actual photo finished prints and not digital prints.

why did I take this job on? dumb

Pat Whatley

Okay, there's a way to do it and I just barely remember enough to be dangerous. When I worked in the frame shop 20 years ago we had a product we'd use to unmount spray mounted prints and photographs. We'd literally soak photographs in it with no damage.

The problem is I don't remember exactly what the stuff was. I really want to say it was Bestine Solvent but that may be wrong so if you try that make sure you test it first.

JoySigns

We use Bienfang's UnStik adhesive releasing solvent. We haven't needed to buy any for years so I don't know if it is still available.

gabagoo

bahhh.... I used a little warm water on a soft cloth and it took the finish off.... I called the customer to let him know and if he had a digital file to reprint it and he said the hell with it, it was an ugly photo anyhow... I have 11 other prints I have mounted for him....thank goodness he is easy going. But I never doing this again, what an absolute headache.... and speaking of headache the spray has certainly given me one lol

TGIF!!!!

gabagoo

That reminded me of what we used...it was Bienfang's UnSeal solvent. I don't know what the difference is in Unseal and UnStik but they both say they'll remove it.

yea but you wouldnt put that directly on to a photograph would you?

JoySigns

Yes, apply it to the photo. Dip a Q-tip in the solvent and dab it right on the photo. It's scary but that is what this stuff is made to do.

Pat Whatley

Yep. Pretty cool stuff. We'd pour it all over high dollar prints and photographs. It would soak into paper like water will but it wouldn't soften it like water. It would evaporate and leave the print just like it had been before. Pretty interesting stuff.

Plus, as a bonus, if you pour it on cuts it will burn like Hell but the cut will heal in half the normal time.

artbot

i use straight butyl cellosolve for removing adhesive from delicate things. has no cutting power at all. but will turn adhesive in to little rubber boogers that can easily be wiped away.

phototec

Never use a water based cleaner

For conventional photographs you never want to use a water based cleaner, as it will soften the photographic emulsion on the front of the print, and could cause it to rub off. It's best to use a solvent cleaner, something like Bestine or Bienfang's UnStik adhesive releasing solvent, they will NOT soften the photographic emulsion. You can even use lithographic film cleaner, if anyone one is still using lithographic film anymore.