• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to repair PVC (Komacell)

Drip Dry

Today I cut out a 3x6 Komacell (PVC). I routed the edges and noticed while
I was sanding it before priming that it had a imperfection right in the middle of the face. It looks like it had a void in the material while it was being made.

The void is about 1" x 1" area and and is not even 1/32" deep.

Does anyone know how to repair it before I paint it ?
I'm thinking I can spackle it and sand it before I paint it.
I'm going to use latex paint

Any thoughts

if you are going to paint it you shouldnt have any problem hiding the flaw. i have used epoxy to fill scatches prior to painting with no problems

just so all the information is in the same place since other people will read this in the future. i have also repaired deep scratches on sheets that are NOT going to be painted by using a cheap plastic welder (harbor freight sells them) and filling the scratch with the closest color pvc rod. for signs that are viewed from more than 8-10' away you could not tell that they had been damaged and repaired at all.

chopper

I would use auto body filler,
there are two types you want to use the spot putty it has a tighter film,(less chance of having pin holes) it is also referred to as pin hole filler...use the catalyzed type filler it is more stable and will last as long as the sign does..
//chopper

Drip Dry

Thanks everyone

I never thought of epoxy or putty

Since PVC tends to expand and contract outdoors, do you think I risk the
chance that the putty would pop out and leave a more obvious hole ?

G-Artist

Back in the "old days" when Bondo was used for virtually all things with voids and dents
the old timers as well as the instructions would say to drill a few holes so as the stuff had some place to really grip. With soft stuff like that you could 'drill' with a tap and turn the hardened filler into a virtual screwed-on unit.

Just a thought.

that is a good idea regarding drilling additional holes for bondo that i will file away for the future...every old timer i have known bondo has been the go to fix all for any and every repair and personally i just hate the stuff.

Billct2

Ditto on the spot filler and do ruff up the area.
The biggest issue I have with these repairs is sometimes (depending on primer/paint used) the patch looks smoother than than the rest of the panel so sometimes my final sanding is with something that will leave a little tooth.