• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How To 'Reverse' Photo For Printing On Back Of Acrylic?

johntech

Sorry for the newbie question but how do you 'reverse' a photo image in Flexi to prep it for printing on the back of a piece of acrylic or glass? And also add a white layer on top of it.

Thanks!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Reverse print the image on clear laminate, add a layer of white vinyl on top - one with clear glue, like 3M 7725 or 7125 series. Mount wet to the acrylic.

Andy D

The only thing I would add to GAC05's answer is do a test 1st, the adhesives on some lamination turn milky & splotchy
when wet applied.
Is this meant to be backlit?

johntech

Reverse print the image on clear laminate, add a layer of white vinyl on top - one with clear glue, like 3M 7725 or 7125 series. Mount wet to the acrylic.

Thanks for the comments. I am just looking to print no the backside of the acrylic directly so you can look through the front to see the photo. You think it's better to mount a white piece of vinyl rather than just print a layer of white ink?

Also I was looking for the process to prepare the image in Flexi. Do you just "horizontally flip" the image then print it on one side of the acrylic then it will be viewable normal perspective through the other side?

johntech

The only thing I would add to GAC05's answer is do a test 1st, the adhesives on some lamination turn milky & splotchy
when wet applied.
Is this meant to be backlit?

Hi Andy,

No, not back light. That's why I think I could just print a layer of white ink over the top of the printed photo image.

Ardor Creative

Reverse print the image on clear laminate, add a layer of white vinyl on top
I would suggest clear vinyl not laminate. Lamination isn't designed for inks, but yes it will accept them. Secondly I've preferred printed to vinyl instead of direct to acrylic. If there are any errors or changes you haven't wasted a piece of acrylic in the process. You didn't mention the size of the print, but that's a ton of white ink to put down if it's larger than a piece of paper.

johntech

I would suggest clear vinyl not laminate. Lamination isn't designed for inks, but yes it will accept them. Secondly I've preferred printed to vinyl instead of direct to acrylic. If there are any errors or changes you haven't wasted a piece of acrylic in the process. You didn't mention the size of the print, but that's a ton of white ink to put down if it's larger than a piece of paper.

Most of our prints will be about 9x12 or smaller.

johntech

Secondly I've preferred printed to vinyl instead of direct to acrylic. If there are any errors or changes you haven't wasted a piece of acrylic in the process. You didn't mention the size of the print, but that's a ton of white ink to put down if it's larger than a piece of paper.

CONTINUED... Why not print to white vinyl instead? If you print to clear vinyl don't you run into the same problem with needing a white backing if it's not going to be backlit?

Also how do you stick the vinyl to the back of the acrylic? One of the things we wanted to avoid was long production time to complete one piece as we plan to do hundreds of small pieces on a regular basis. I've seen how some "face mounted" acrylic photos are done and it seems like a ton of work to print the photo on photo paper and then double adhesive mount it (which is a process) to the back of the acrylic. That's why printing direct to the acrylic seems like a faster solution.

Appreciate your insights!

johntech

Full disclosure, I run corel, not Flexi. I find the vertical flip option to be best for photographs. Horizontal flip makes everything look mirrored.

I never realized there would be a difference in printing whether it was horizontally flipped or vertically flipped. Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely need to test it out!

Andy D

Hi Andy,

No, not back light. That's why I think I could just print a layer of white ink over the top of the printed photo image.
Yes, if you're able to print white, do it that way. As far as how to set it up, every rip program and printer is different... It's been 3-4 years since I ran Onyx or a UV flatbed... But from what I remember, you pick cmykw in onyx and then spec; color - white on the printer... But again, your set-up will be different.

Last edited:

peerlessdani

CONTINUED... Why not print to white vinyl instead? If you print to clear vinyl don't you run into the same problem with needing a white backing if it's not going to be backlit?

Also how do you stick the vinyl to the back of the acrylic? One of the things we wanted to avoid was long production time to complete one piece as we plan to do hundreds of small pieces on a regular basis. I've seen how some "face mounted" acrylic photos are done and it seems like a ton of work to print the photo on photo paper and then double adhesive mount it (which is a process) to the back of the acrylic. That's why printing direct to the acrylic seems like a faster solution.

Appreciate your insights!
I was wondering about this as well because my company is going to be making second surface stickers and were set up with white ink and can mirror the image, then apply. Can't we just mirror on white and find a laminate that would have adhesive for second surface? I noticed when we print them on clear and add white ink to the sticker they take FOREVER to dry, we have to let them sit for an entire day.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
I use to screen print invitations, coasters and promotional pieces in the 90's on clear acrylics.
I would reverse the photo or artwork of the image then flood print over it with white or silver ink.
So if you have access to a screen printer you can flood over the image.