• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to roll premasked frosted vinyl

bigben

So I have an upcoming job that will require 300 linear feet of 3m dusted vinyl (48in roll) with the SCPS-53X premask. The biggest piece will be 4ftX8ft. I've had problem in the pass with the premask tunneling from the part that have no vinyl and not stick very well to the liner directly.

My question, is it better to roll the material with the premask on the inside or outside of the roll? Would you suggest another type of premask to avoid tunneling?

Thanks

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I've had the same problem. My only suggestion would be to roll it with lettering out, but on a fairly wide tube (12" diameter???) then secure it once it's all rolled on. That should prevent the tunneling.

AKwrapguy

So I have an upcoming job that will require 300 linear feet of 3m dusted vinyl (48in roll) with the SCPS-53X premask. The biggest piece will be 4ftX8ft. I've had problem in the pass with the premask tunneling from the part that have no vinyl and not stick very well to the liner directly.

My question, is it better to roll the material with the premask on the inside or outside of the roll? Would you suggest another type of premask to avoid tunneling?

Thanks

Like Deby said roll it with the premask on the outside. Also use a hi-tack premask this will also help out with the issues.

showie

Thanks

Cut, but DO NOT WEED, the vinyl in question.
Premask.
Roll losely on a large diameter core.
Reverse weed on site.

It is 100% more PITA than weeding in the shop, but it's how my installers and I figured on doing something similar because we had so many issues with the traditional method.

bigben

Cut, but DO NOT WEED, the vinyl in question.
Premask.
Roll losely on a large diameter core.
Reverse weed on site.

It is 100% more PITA than weeding in the shop, but it's how my installers and I figured on doing something similar because we had so many issues with the traditional method.

That is a very interesting idea. The design is just plain rectangles. So I don't have any inner parts like a ''O'' to remove.

burgmurk

That is a very interesting idea. The design is just plain rectangles. So I don't have any inner parts like a ''O'' to remove.
Wait, like just one big rectangle? do you even need app tape? if it's lots of little ones it makes sense.
Is transporting flat an option? cos that's the best option.

bigben

Wait, like just one big rectangle? do you even need app tape? if it's lots of little ones it makes sense.
Is transporting flat an option? cos that's the best option.

It's lot of small rectangles. If it was just one piece, I wouldn't bother with premask. I think the larger piece is 7ft long. So I could put them between two sheet of something. But with a total of 300 linera feet, I think it will become heavy to transport in the stairs/elevator.

SignosaurusRex

This is exactly what I was thinking, but it will be a problem to get into the elevator.
Use the stairs ...or pull your stock from the folder once you get there and loose roll for transport up the elevator. You can also roll a 4' x 4' x 4mm piece of Corplast into a tube 4' x 16" dia. to roll your stock / material onto in order to fit the elevator. How difficult can it be?