• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to set roller pressure

simso

Hey folks, I have a vinyl plotter, and have to date cut quite a few logos and pictures out, however Im curious whther there is a setup procedure for the roller down pressure.

I originally had set it clean with no film in and wound the pressure rollers down until they didnt move, then fed some film in, I found it was slipping so wound all 3 clamps down a further turn, still slipping a little, then I wound down a further full turn and now its not slipping but the middle roller is leasving imprints in the vinyl.

Is there a setup procedure that people use or does everyone kinda just wing it.

Thanks

S

Sign-Man Signs

Might want to tell us what cutter you have. There should be a cut test button on your machine. After you cut, peel square out and you should see just a hint of and X inside the box. If not keep adding pressure by grams until you do. To much and you cut through your vinyl and backing.

SignsOfMaine

>_< He's asking about roller pressure not cut pressure

We have a graphtec FC5100 and as far as I can tell there's no setting to change it, it just works. Maybe at some point in its life someone had to calibrate it. There's definitely no slippage. At worst you may have to worry about a full roll of 30 inch vinyl, it will jerk a roll like that pretty hard if you don't unspool some first. Unspooling might be your solution.

Honestly I can't imagine pressure that's so hard it leaves tracks in the vinyl, at least the kind of tracks that a customer might say "hey what are those marks". Maybe they offer different or better pinch rollers for it? Maybe the wheels are leaving tracks because there's a caked layer of grime? Ours get dirty, not unlike the rollers inside an old mouse.

simso

Awesome thanks. Yes I was talking about the pinch rollers. I have 3. They have the ability to be adjusted via a pressure knob, the imprints being left by the middle one was a bit concerning.

I was curious whether there is a setup procedure

here is what Im talking about

Attachments

• rollers.jpg
    rollers.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 145

SignsOfMaine

yours is for sure fancier than ours... maybe someone with that model will be able to comment. I find that everything you might find in vinyl, from a dent to a slight crease to a bubble... goes away the instant the backing is removed and it's hard-squeegeed onto a surface. Can you confirm that the track is still visible even after the vinyl has been applied? I'd be surprised if so. Is it kinda thick vinyl maybe?

P

ProWraps™

set the middle on light if you can. dont worry about the imprint it will go away on the install.

simso

Correct, the markings go away when applied and in the sun, however I was curious as to whether there was actually a setup procedure,

I have had a couple of times the vinyl bunch up and stuff the job, that is I think I had to much pressure set and it was pulling the roll out of alignment with the other two rollers.

I think what I might do is set it so it starts to leave an impression and then wind it back a turn or two

Thanks

Steve