• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to use printer/cutter as vinyl cutter?

biggmann

We have a Roland VS-540 print and cut and use it daily to print a job with marks, lam and reposition to cut the graphics out. I would like to know how to put in regular Avery A9 vinyl and have the printer just cut the design. I assume it has to look for crop marks to start cutting but I dont want to print anything just have it cut right away. I have read on the product page it can be used as a stand alone cutter but how do you do that in Versaworks?

kanini

You design your layout as usual (or take a previous print&cut job) and use the cut contour color on the lines, letters etc. you want to cut, then, select "Cut only" under the tab "Cut Controls". Load the material as usual and set the base Point, knife pressure etc. When loaded, click the "Print" button in VW as usual and the machine will now only cut the job and not look for any crop marks etc. Remember also to uncheck the "crop marks (print&cut alignment)" under the "Mark" tab so it doesn't try to look for them. Good luck!

chartle

The above post is correct. You can set up a base point or set up as a piece or roll, they will all work.

That how we did it for years before we got separate machines. In versaworks I setup Queue A defaults for print cut and Queue B as cut only.

splizaat

As said above, we create our vector files with just a white fill and normal contour cut swatch and then just "cut only" without printing. Our printer is wider than our plotter so it gets us by!

biggmann

Thats where I was making a mistake, I still had the crop marks checked simply out of habit. I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks Again