• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to use Roland GX-24 with Omega 6.5

Ray312

Hello.

I am hoping I can find someone that may be able to steer me in the right direction.
Some time back I bought a Gerber Edge & Plotter, I didn't have the software to operate it till just recently, I acquired the Omega 6.5. The plotter I have the Gerber GS-15 plus I am having connection issues with it which is leading me to believe that it may be defective. I reached out to Gerber about it but they no longer make parts for it and I cannot get it serviced.
I do however have a Roland GX-24 Camm 1 Servo. But going through the Omega Composer it only give 3 options for the Roland and the GX-24 isn't one of them.
Is there anyone out there that is running the Roland GX-24 with the Omega 6.5 software? I read on here another forum where someone was using the Roland with a 2.6 version of Omega but that thread was written a couple years ago and don't know if they ever got their issue worked out.
Any information would be highly appreciated. I'm not looking to have to buy another plotter when I have a perfectly working plotter with the Roland.

Thank you again.

Joe House

You can probably cut to the Roland plotter with the generic HPGL 24" driver, but won't be able to do print and cut jobs with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ray312

You can probably cut to the Roland plotter with the generic HPGL 24" driver, but won't be able to do print and cut jobs with it.

Well I'm guessing that I can do all my printing design on Omega, I would just need the Roland to cut the shapes out I wouldn't need the Roland to do any print n cuts with. Since the only way I can do print & cuts now is with Cut Studio.
But the reason I went with the Omega is because I have an Edge printer that wouldn't run without the Omega software, so now I have the printer going but I don't have a plotter that will communicate with Omega.
Someone did suggest that I use HPGL 24 but it didn't work, or it wasn't configured properly for it to work. So I'm kind of stuck. if the HPGL 24 driver will work how do I configure it properly?

WildWestDesigns

if the HPGL 24 driver will work how do I configure it properly?

On Linux, I have gotten my GX-24 to print using HPGL 24, but I have it setup to send raw data. It works in Linux, I have no idea about Windows as when I was running Windows directly installed on bare metal, I was cutting right out of Ai and Inkscape using the Roland driver and the "print" function.

For more functionality, there is an extension for Inkscape called Inkcut. I've used that on the Linux side, I would be surprised that it didn't work for the Windows variant, but I can't comment on that specifically as I don't use the Vista VM (the VM that's on the computer connected to the cutter) to cut from, just the Linux host.

I would try those as it would be free to try, at least it's an option.

If you have Ai and/or DRAW should be able to cut from those for sure.

Ray312

Gerber really said they don't make parts for the GS15 Plus? They still sell that cutter!
yep, they've stopped making parts for those plotters. It may not be a good idea to buy any of them at this point. For parts you'll now have to find whatever is out there.

Joe House

I've not used a Roland cutter with omega, but you probably need to install the usb Windows driver, them dry it up in the GQ manager, USB settings. Hit list, them select the installed USB devices and find the plotter in the list.
And what I meant by print/ cut was using the GX plotter to cut your Edge printed graphics. I don't think you'll be able to use it for that, but you should be able to cut vinyl only jobs.

WildWestDesigns

And what I meant by print/ cut was using the GX plotter to cut your Edge printed graphics. I don't think you'll be able to use it for that, but you should be able to cut vinyl only jobs.

If the appropriate reg marks are able to be printed on the Edge, he should be able to use CutStudio to cut those printed jobs. I don't have an Edge to test that out, but that would be the only consideration that I can think off that would prevent that.

Joe House

Jburns is right:
Gerber really said they dont make parts for the GS15 Plus? They still sell that cutter.

Somethings not quite right here. If you bought this used, Gerber probably won't help you unless you pay them for help. But they are obligated to support a product they sell for 5 years after production stops. Unless your GS-15 is not a plus then you would be correct.

You may be able to get the Roland plotter to work, but the workflow will not be nearly as easy as a Gerber sprocket feed plotter.

Good luck.