• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to wrap with chrome film?

biggmann

I am not new to doing vehicle wraps, I have been doing it for many years and can wrap just about anything but this one is throwing me for a loop. I am trying my first chrome wrap. I have a 2005 Mini Cooper to wrap and I am trying the chrome wrap from Vivvid Vinyl. Its not like regular film that you can heat and stretch around corners but I know its been done there are tons of finished pictures all over the internet. I am trying to wrap the rear quarter panel and there is a lot of curve not only that wraps around but also tapers up so no mater what you are left with a bunch of excess vinyl so I dont know how to get rid of that. regular vinyl I can heat and pull in a triangle and get rid of it. Is there a special technique for this film or tricks to use, any advice is helpful I dont want to give up on this one.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Yes. There are special techniques for wrapping with chrome.
No, you aren't likely to learn how to do it by reading in here.
I suggest watching videos, practicing on curves, or taking a hands-on advanced wrapping class that incorporates chrome wrapping.
"Never Stop Learning" (wink wink)

Bosh

Yeah, chrome is completely different- with a steep and expensive learning curve. I second Kentucky wraps advice about those videos. Beyond that. . .

- Not sure about Vivid materials, but most of those great-looking chrome wraps are Avery conform chrome. I've heard good things about Hexis as well, but never used it.

-That usually simple corner that you can do by yourself with regular wrap film will take 2-3 good installers. I've watched one of the world's most recognizable installers (yeah that one) screw-up a chrome bumper because he was relying on (2) helpful volunteers who didn't help just right. It's a coordinated effort, and just getting "a hand" from someone might not cut it.

-Heating is not cheating with chrome- heat first, last, and always. Low, even heat (IR heaters are best). That's one person's whole job.

-You can't treat the "flat" areas and the "curves" separately- the whole panel needs to be warm and under tension from the start.

-Remove hardware that you normally wouldn't bother with.

Good luck. I've done a bit of wrapping with chrome, and am never completely satisfied. Now my boss wants to wrap his car in matte-laminated printed chrome. Just got the materials in. I've wrapped that car a half-dozen times flawlessly, but I'm not sure if I can actually pull it off in matte chrome.

MikePro

awesome tips! I most definitely wish I were an octopus while wrapping-chrome.
heat heat heat & I'm a big fan of "pre-stretching" my vinyl & starting on high points of the curve, allowing the vinyl to shrink-back to its original size (using more heat) as you travel outward/downward. you don't want any of your trimmed-edges to have been stretched/smooshed before cutting... as they WILL curl-back on you over time. lift, heat/shrink, smooth, & THEN trim/finish, always post-heating to be certain you got it all down good. (I've had issues with chrome film & rushed applications, any air that might still be trapped under the vinyl WILL cook in the sun and expand to giant un-fixable blisters.)

youtube is your friend, as well as taking any chance you can to see a sign show where most chrome film manufacturers are demo'ing live installations all day long.