• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question How tough is HDU board?

okeesignguy

I have a 3x6 HDU board 1 inch thick that has been engraved throughout 80% surface 1/2 inch deep...
It seems very flimsy...almost fragile...
I am very afraid of it breaking when I handle it...

Just how breakable is this stuff...?
I feel like I should stiffen it with something on the back like a full sheet of something or maybe some stringers of some sort...

I don't have any pictures at this moment but will post a couple when I get to the shop this morning...

Thank you :)

FatCat

By itself, HDU is pretty strong, but on 1" material, where you've remove 1/2 of the depth, yes, it's going to be pretty flimsy. The biggest factor will be how it is to be mounted. Would probably be OK to do a wall mount or something with a completely solid surface behind it, but if you intend to hang or support it between posts you need to attach a backer to it. (Typically we use MDO, polymetal or aluminum cut to the same size and shape.)

okeesignguy

By itself, HDU is pretty strong, but on 1" material, where you've remove 1/2 of the depth, yes, it's going to be pretty flimsy. The biggest factor will be how it is to be mounted. Would probably be OK to do a wall mount or something with a completely solid surface behind it, but if you intend to hang or support it between posts you need to attach a backer to it. (Typically we use MDO, polymetal or aluminum cut to the same size and shape.)

I was considering backing it with a full size piece of signabond (because we have plenty laying around)
However it is to be mounted on two posts so I am thinking is needs something stronger...something that can be screwed into like maybe three 1x4 boards across the back before painting...

But I like the MDO idea and feel like that would add enough strength to actually bolt through...

I have never worked with this stuff before but it sure seems as tho screws would strip out of it pretty easily so I would have to use some kind of adhesive like 3M 5200...?

Billct2

I use backer panel on HDU a lot. It the case you have described I would bond it to a backer panel and if it still feels a little wobbly use stringers to install.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't use it all that much, but when we do, it's usually 2" stock. With your situation, I'd definitely back it with 3/4" MDO and make sure you seal the edges real-ly good. Fill the voids and putty the whole edge all the way around. Give it at least two top coats and give the edges a coat every time you do the faces, which should give them at least 4 coats. Do this before you fasten it to the main sign. Once you have it glued and screwed fast, give the edges another coat.