• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would I mount a jersey for an autograph sign?

VicoDrive

A client wants a sign to be able to write autographs around it, probably on foamcore or PVC. They also asked to mount a childs sports jersey in the middle. Whats the best way to mount this? They said mounting it permanently would be ok. I was thinking either staples, velcro or hem tape. Just dont really want it to look half azzed

DirtyD

I would get " foam or sintra and mount with pins.... something that can fit into a shadow box afterwards to protect it.

Or take the shadow box apart and use whats in it

you can gt them at Hobby lobby.. they are on sale all the time or they always have a 40% off coupon on their website

MikePro

+1 sintra with pins/staples inside of a shadowbox.
stay away from glue, as it would be the only method that could ruin this project before completion.

plenty of vids with different methods here

VicoDrive

Didnt even think about the DIY shadowboxes from craft stores, will run that by them. Never heard of Sintra either but saw some videos on that. It looks like its about the same thing as PVC except maybe a little easier to bend? Im guessing pins and staples can also go into them easier than standard PVC board? Also how is the surface for writing on it?

petepaz

i would try to make a jig out of coroplast or cardboard to fit inside the jersey to keep it firm and wrinkle free. then you can put your pins, staples or tacks through that material and then the front of the jersey will sit flat on your autograph board and you won't see how it is mounted. if it works it will give you a better presentation/appearance

gnatt66

get a real framer involved? sorry..had to. there are jersey frames that use archival materials that could be altered to fit these needs. please dont tape it. any custom frame shop worth its sign out front can help you with that part easily.

VicoDrive

get a real framer involved? sorry..had to. there are jersey frames that use archival materials that could be altered to fit these needs. please dont tape it. any custom frame shop worth its sign out front can help you with that part easily.

I was thinking that too, this really isnt a sign and not our area. Its something you would take to a frame shop. I think we are going to suggest getting one of the DIY ones from the craft stores. We can still print anything they want inside though if needed.

jmcnicoll

I'd use mat board as it's better to write on than PVC or foam board, looks better too! Thats most likely what a frame shop would use.