• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you attack this? (Wrap question, technique)

speedmedia

Hey guys and gals,
Got a Ford Escape here I am mapping out that I am going ti wrap tomorrow. I have a section that looks to be a bit of a challenge.

I guess I am just wondering how you wrappers out there would attack this? The bumper and fog light area in general is the main concern. I have done several wraps just wanting to know the right way or how some of you with more experience would go about this.

The area is just going to be wrapped solid black.

Thanks,
Kurt

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 108

Mason

More information please:

Bumper, wrapped separate or part of the last panel (front fender etc) ?

Either way its straight forward...

speedmedia

The entire front of this thing is getting wrapped solid black from the doors forward. Hood, fenders, nose etc.

Using Hexis Gloss black.

Thanks,
Kurt

B-RAD Graphics

we have wrapped 5 for a client and we cut out fog lights into groove..but leaves color showing..on the first 2 we did they did not have chrome grills they were painted color of vehicle..so did not look bad ..but if you need to cover all.. piece it :covereyes:

speedmedia

we have wrapped 5 for a client and we cut out fog lights into groove..but leaves color showing..on the first 2 we did they did not have chrome grills they were painted color of vehicle..so did not look bad ..but if you need to cover all.. piece it :covereyes:

I'd really like to not have to piece anything but I guess if we have to. I have seen some installers wrestle an area like that and was just curious if anyone had any tips to get vinyl in an around that fog light without putting a bunch of pieces in there.

Thanks,
Kurt

1leonchen

i did some thing similar. don't do it in solid colors. best bet is to spray it. it is not hard to remove the entire bumper,easier to wrap. you will have to move the lights to get it off. 3m 180c v3 lifted at the edges after a year and i used primer. i think the curve is too complex. the curve is 6 inches long by 4 inches wide by 3 inches deep.
it was a sport track not a escape. i did warn my customer about it though, i just like to look at stuff and see if it holds up.

ProWraps

your going to have to seem it. there is no way to do that in once piece, AND have it not fail. i can do that in one piece all day long. its not hard. but put it outside in the sun for 10 mins, and it will fail.

grafixemporium

I assume you're talking about the fog light causing the biggest issue. We would probably cut a relief in that groove around the outside of the foglight... otherwise it's sure to fail. Then we'd face trim it where it makes that 90 into the light pocket. The inside of the fog light would not get covered. However, it will hardly be noticeable.

Here's the front bumper of a Nitro we did to kind of show you how we'd do it. Notice, we actually did this bumper in 3 pieces because the angles were ridiculous. There is a small line of paint exposed where we clear stripped it, but I think it looks fine and will probably last a lot longer than if we tried to work the vinyl in there.

Attachments

• DSCF0866.jpg
    DSCF0866.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 86

speedmedia

Thanks for the feedback. After speaking with the client about it we decided to leave it white around that area. It really doesn't look bad and we know it isn't going to fail on us..

Thanks,
Kurt

Attachments

• egr_1.jpg
    egr_1.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 96