• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you do the install...

Tim Aucoin

Looking for feedback/ideas on this large project I'm working on.
Wall Decals, printed on Avery 2611. Some small, very easy to work with, but some quite large ones (like the attached). This one is 120" wide x 100" tall. Two questions... am I better to print in a 2-piece horizontal split or a 3 piece vertical split? It will be contour cut around the image. Would you mask to do the install?

I appreciate any feedback or advice from anyone who's done contour cut wall graphics this size! This is one of 4 this size I will be doing. :smile:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 12.51.49 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 12.51.49 PM.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 107

oksigns

Considering the tricky shapes involved, I would personally split it 3 ways vertically and definitely use application tape, cause there's going to be some stretching going on. I would anchor all three panels at their widest squeegeeing the shapely bits only after the anchor is in place

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I imagine you'll have a second person along to help ?? If not 3 pieces.

If you do, I'd use one seam horizontal. Put the bottom on first using the top cut line as your level. Put two small ladders with a walk plank between and do the upper piece. It's only gonna be 8 foot in the middle. Out at the ends, it only looks to be maybe 6 foot.

Don't know anything about the 2611, but if it isn't too thick, I'd probably mask it.

Have fun.............​

ExecuPrintGS

I would do 2 pieces, horizontal seam and not mask it personally. I would pre-seam it at the shop on my table before install and do a horizontal hinge to install it.

Tim Aucoin

Thanks for the reply's and advice!
I already printed one as a 2-piece horizontal split. I'll definitely have 2 people, and maybe even 3 (my wife and her dad are unknowingly my "volunteers" LOL).
I may do the rest as 3-piece for ease of the install. The Avery 2611 is quite thick at 6mil. I'm not worried about stretching. I'm going to mask some of the "smaller" pieces, as some of them are contour cut titles.

Doing the install this weekend, so I'll post pics of the finished product!
I asked the customer for 2-3 weeks drying time for their paint... they are giving me 8 days. I explained the ramifications to them and I have the go ahead... they have an opening deadline they're trying to meet! :rolleyes:

Tim Aucoin

I would do 2 pieces, horizontal seam and not mask it personally. I would pre-seam it at the shop on my table before install and do a horizontal hinge to install it.

I'm planning a .5" overlap seam. Horizontal hinge for sure, especially on the WIDE ones! :smile:

sardocs

I might be tempted to contour cut the design into individual critters on their own coloured backgrounds along the black outlines of the round panels. Then you don't get seams through any animal faces. It might make installing with only one person possible.

Tim Aucoin

This is one of the "smaller" ones! This one is 4' x 4'ish. Will be easy to do a vertical hinge and simply hand place the mud drops! Total of around 15 pieces to install! :smile: I'll bet you can tell it's for a daycare! :thumb:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 1.36.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 1.36.41 PM.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 94

Tim Aucoin

Forgot to update this thread... the install went very good. I'd do a few things differently next time, but overall things worked out great! I love working with the Avery 2611 product... but I did learn that it can tear easy if you're not careful LOL... Next time, if I'm working with large, contour cut (with detail), I'm definitely masking it! :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg