• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you guys wrap this?

antant77

I'm new to wrapping and I have vvivid cast chrome and I tried wrapping this and I'm interested in how some of you pros would attack this project? Any help is deeply appreciated

96AD31C3-AB48-477B-A7DD-9744B7A284CA_zpsy9mmhamy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'm new to wrapping and I have vvivid cast chrome and I tried wrapping this and I'm interested in how some of you pros would attack this project? Any help is deeply appreciated

So you are new to wrapping and you want to start out with the most difficult material you can get. Did you note the skill level Vvivid states is needed for dealing with the chrome films? "Skill level needed: very high" Plus with what you are wanting to wrap - I just don't see that happening seamlessly - you have square corners. Even if you had a piece of material 2 feet oversized you would have to stretch it 50% or more to not have excess material on those corners which will not look good at all. Once you try to come down the sides or that smaller front you are going to have a surplus of material at those corners that I double any amount of heat will take care of. With chrome I'd suggest you will need to have a small seam at those small front vertical corners. I just don't think chrome is going to stretch that much there without turning white and/or wrinkling like crazy. And you are trying to wrap something that is not secured to something else meaning its going to be trying to move around and looks like plastic so it's going to be flexing and bowing as well. Not the sort of piece really to learn wrapping skills on. Good luck with that one.... lol ... post photos of the expensive material you ruin trying. I have head of Vvivid Vinyl before - supposed to be a top brand for these specialty vinyls.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Instead of a chrome wrap, just use a spray. Rustoleum has some nice metallic sprays, but there are a lot on the market. Try on a test piece first.

Craig Sjoquist

Big plus one for SPRAY .. sees that bow, flex, & those corners puts vinyl on back burner.

There are some serious shiny spray chromes out there

antant77

So you are new to wrapping and you want to start out with the most difficult material you can get. Did you note the skill level Vvivid states is needed for dealing with the chrome films? "Skill level needed: very high" Plus with what you are wanting to wrap - I just don't see that happening seamlessly - you have square corners. Even if you had a piece of material 2 feet oversized you would have to stretch it 50% or more to not have excess material on those corners which will not look good at all. Once you try to come down the sides or that smaller front you are going to have a surplus of material at those corners that I double any amount of heat will take care of. With chrome I'd suggest you will need to have a small seam at those small front vertical corners. I just don't think chrome is going to stretch that much there without turning white and/or wrinkling like crazy. And you are trying to wrap something that is not secured to something else meaning its going to be trying to move around and looks like plastic so it's going to be flexing and bowing as well. Not the sort of piece really to learn wrapping skills on. Good luck with that one.... lol ... post photos of the expensive material you ruin trying. I have head of Vvivid Vinyl before - supposed to be a top brand for these specialty vinyls.

Thanks for taking a minute to help me....I did see the skill needed on vvivids web site. I also know chrome is the hardest vinyl to use, let alone to learn on (damn youtube videos!! Make it look easy and give courage to try to attempt!) I DID successfully wrap other flatter pieces of this sprint car so I'm happy with how they came out but this piece gave my a lot of problems...I started at the front of this piece and I was able to get it around the corners but like you said it looked like crap with wrinkles and turned white with the heat applied....I just wanted to confirm if these type of complex compound curves are even doable by the pros? Or if this type of wrap is 100% impossible to wrap seamlessly. I'm not one to be easily discouraged, as the best way to learn for me is to just "jump in!!" Like I said, I wrapped other pieces and am pleased how they turned out...

You were also right about it not being attached to the car. This is a panel off of a 600 sprint car, the car is getting engine tweaks elsewhere and I'm trying to wrap the pieces I can while the car is away

is it safe to say you can't wrap 90 degree angles?

dawg

this object as it visible lacking any stiffness, looking a very hard task for wrapping.. ie: the stretching film can deform simply the object..

on the picture top visible his hand..
that actually shows that the corner about 3 inches tall on the closed end, other end is open so that looks doable....
over 1 inch a corner makes very easily at least whitering out on the bottom of vertical wall..... so hardly can imagine wrap can be stretched on that corner..

my another view, chromed surfaces use to be smooth large flat, or nicely curved surfaces.. this cover i think a black matte finish would match better..
of course the customer request will decide..

edit: im a slow typer so while i tried to answer you already posted..

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
3 different planes all with 90 degree angles to each other (making a corner) can be wrapped but not easily, the less sharp the corner and the less they come together at 90 degrees the better. A true 90, 90, 90 sharp corner, no - that will need a seam. What you have is not going to get over those corners seamlessly with any kind of chrome vinyl.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Think of your material as not a flat surface with some sides but as a pyramid. I know, its a cube with a side missing, bare with me. Wrapping a pyramid is like takeing a flat surface, the vinyl and stretching it over the top and down the sides. At the very top, its stretched at its max and at its edges, its finally coming to its original shape (lots of geometry going on there). Now complicate that with adding four more corners, or pyramids. You can see how the wrap has a lot of extremely stretched corners and some with extra material. Now, add to this... ITS A SPRINT CAR! ! ! just spray it man. :)

phototec

I wouldn't wrap it, just use the NEW Spray-On Chrome:

[video=youtube;A-1cTpSZ1l8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1cTpSZ1l8[/video]

[video=youtube;yvtRYZ5EasA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvtRYZ5EasA[/video]

:thumb: