• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you handle this?

Desert_Signs

A customer wanted us to wrap some panels at a baseball field (4'x8' panels x 4) with banner material. It was to have their business name along with some graphics. We do all of the panels at this particular field, and when the field rents panels, they have the sponsor just call us to place the order.

They gave us their name, which is "XXXX Jewelers". We created a proof and sent it to them. It was approved, so we went and got the panels, printed the materials, wrapped them, and re-installed. A few days later they called to complain that we had spelled their name incorrectly. They said it was supposed to be "XXXX Jewellers". I've never seen it spelled with 2 LL's, but apparently that is an accepted, although uncommon, spelling.

Due to the arrangement we have with this ball field, we make very little money and re-doing it will cost us out of pocket. Would you expect the customer to kick in to have it redone, since they approved the proof? Just kind of put off by the attitude of the customer, they seem to think that we should have know that they spelled it in an uncommon way, when they never mentioned it and signed off on a printed proof.

Thoughts?

"Deposit Please"

Absolutely..the customer will have to eat it. Ask them if they would like any condiments with it...and maybe a couple slaps across the face. they signed off on the proof

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Ask them what they do when one of their customers signs off on a setting on a ring or something - they do it exactly as ordered and the customer wants a change after the work has been finished.
Try to reason with them if they are a good customer. If not, ask them to charge the reprint/install to the guy who signed off on the proof without reading it.

good luck
wayne k
guam usa

Custom_Grafx

Your initial spelling wasn't incorrect, and they approved the proof.

If your initial spelling was WAY off and they approved the proof, maybe as a gesture you'd do it for free or at half price? But in this case, it's a little different. Maybe tell them that so they don't think you're being unreasonable or something. Maybe tell em if you had spelt it juuler... then yeah, you'd do it. Both are completely correct ways of spelling the word, and if they're that fussy, they should have exercised it a bit earlier.

Some people are just born to be a PIA. I keep getting told to see the bigger picture... the day I can figure out what beneficial role a parasite plays in society, I'll RIP.

Desert_Signs

Your initial spelling wasn't incorrect, and they approved the proof.

If your initial spelling was WAY off and they approved the proof, maybe as a gesture you'd do it for free or at half price? But in this case, it's a little different. Maybe tell them that so they don't think you're being unreasonable or something. Maybe tell em if you had spelt it juuler... then yeah, you'd do it. Both are completely correct ways of spelling the word, and if they're that fussy, they should have exercised it a bit earlier.

Some people are just born to be a PIA. I keep getting told to see the bigger picture... the day I can figure out what beneficial role a parasite plays in society, I'll RIP.

This is how I feel. If we had spelled it with two J's or 2 S's or something, I would feel responsible whether they signed off on the proof or not. A spelling error is always "my" fault. This, however, isn't an actual spelling error.

To the other poster, thanks! That's how I'm going to approach it. They should understand it in the terms of how would they handle a customer with a piece of jewelery (jewellery? :rolleyes:) that they created to the "proof" but the customer changed their mind after the fact...

Just really frustrating when you have someone raising their voice at you over an error that is their doing. We make enough mistakes on our own, we don't need our customers assistance in doing it. :banghead:

zmatalucci

It's a banner. Make sure customer knows he was wrong, reprint for free, and you have secured your rep in the community. Cost= $10.00

MikePro

+1 to following a proofing protocol that it can be held up (legally) as a contract between parties.

Branny

My opinion

My friend has a performance engine business in Detroit. His last name is "Thomson". The sign guy installed a sign on his shop that read "Thompson". Mr. Thomson had used his business card as the proof. He ended up with a new sign that said "Thomson". The sign maker offered 50% off (of the wrong spelling), but Thomson said "that's not my name" and got the correct sign at the agreed price.

This was a good outcome.

In your case, they did not respect the proof and should eat it..."with condiments" as previously suggested.

Branny

Mosh

If you want re-peat biz then reprint it....if you are an a-hole like me, show them the signed proof...wait.... if you don't have one RE-PRINT!!!

Just reprint it, save your rep, or what is left of it...Jewelers are slimey characters....

Sticky Signs

That's a tough one.
My spell check says jewellers is correct but not jewelers.
A google search for either word shows up with more double "L" entries at the top, although their are quite a few single "L" entries as well.
I'd probably redo that one just for the sake of saving face. But... I'd also rub in the fact that they signed off on the proof.

Desert_Signs

That's a tough one.
My spell check says jewellers is correct but not jewelers.
A google search for either word shows up with more double "L" entries at the top, although their are quite a few single "L" entries as well.
I'd probably redo that one just for the sake of saving face. But... I'd also rub in the fact that they signed off on the proof.

Mine says the opposite. :rolleyes: Maybe it's a "color" vs. "colour" type thing. I haven't completely decided what we're going to do yet. This customer has never purchased anything from us before, and probably won't again. The only reason they called us is because the people who own the ball park require them to.

I suppose we'll just re-do it and eat the $200. It's not a fortune, but I don't think it's going to earn us any business in the future.

Idea Design

This seems to me like something they should have caught right off the bat. If they know that there is more than one acceptable way to spell "jewelers" and that they spell it the less common way, they should have automatically been on lookout for it.

Sounds like someone's just lazy. My last name can be spelled about five or six different ways, and when someone needs my name, I always spell it so that I know it's correct. Seems to me they should have done the same here.

They should eat it.

CentralSigns

Mine says the opposite. :rolleyes: Maybe it's a "color" vs. "colour" type thing. I haven't completely decided what we're going to do yet. This customer has never purchased anything from us before, and probably won't again. The only reason they called us is because the people who own the ball park require them to.

I suppose we'll just re-do it and eat the $200. It's not a fortune, but I don't think it's going to earn us any business in the future.

Dude how come so much $$$$ ($200 like not). It would be about $10 worth of material and a little time here. For $10 I'd rather save the hassle and redo it, good, bad, or ugly customer. You might never see the Jeweller, but ultimately, it is about the headache you'll be causing the field if you don't.

phototec

What does the verbiage say on your PROOF?

What does the verbiage say on your PROOF about the customer not clearly checking the spelling on the proof?

If your PROOF has wording to the effect that the CUSTOMER is responsible for any errors, then you are covered, and if they want it changed, they have pay again.

If the wording on your PROOF does NOT clearly indicate that if they sign off on the PROOF, and later find something wrong and the job needs to be re-made, it's their responsibility, then by all means you need to add the statement to your proof. See example below.

Artwork Approval Example

It is the customer's responsibility to ensure that the proof is correct in all areas. Please be sure to double-check spelling, grammar, layout and design before approving artwork.

If a proof containing errors is approved by the customer, customer is responsible for payment of all original costs of printing, including corrections and reprints.

The customer is 100% responsible for approvals of Copyright, Trademark and Licensing Agreements of artwork.

Customer's signature on artwork approval is contractually binding for payment of all services rendered.
All artwork must be approved by the customer with an authorized signature before a job can be entered into production.

:doh:

Desert_Signs

Dude how come so much $$$$ ($200 like not). It would be about $10 worth of material and a little time here. For $10 I'd rather save the hassle and redo it, good, bad, or ugly customer. You might never see the Jeweller, but ultimately, it is about the headache you'll be causing the field if you don't.

$10? Where are you getting your 18oz printed banner from? :omg:

It's four 4'x8' panels, with 8" bleed on each panel for a total of ~200sqft. We don't print this size, so we have another local shop print it for us at $0.90 a sq. That's $180 right there, then the cost of fuel and labor to go get them, remove and reinstall.

And to the guy asking about our proof verbiage, you've got it pretty close. There is no doubt this is the customers fault and responsibility. I'm not questioning that. Just trying to get opinions on what you guys/gals would do.

Jillbeans

First off, I think that's the UK spelling of jewelry.
Yes I think it looks weird too but hey.
Secondly, if it was just a small sign, yes, I would have replaced it.
But you need to tell them that it is a very costly sign, that they approved the proof, and if they want it to be fixed, it will be an additional cost.
As long as you got the XXXX part right I doubt anyone who reads the sign will give a flying fart about the jewelry part. They'll know what XXXX sells.
I normally would advocate a free replacement but they did sign off on the proof.
Love.....Jill

BobM

My guess is that they get the "wrong spelling" on a lot of their signage/printing and say to each other, "look our name was mispelled again". It is clearly their problem but in the end is it worth the hassel of them telling everyone they see that you can't spell, even if you can.

Change it and go forward.

Desert_Signs

My guess is that they get the "wrong spelling" on a lot of their signage/printing and say to each other, "look our name was mispelled again". It is clearly their problem but in the end is it worth the hassel of them telling everyone they see that you can't spell, even if you can.

Change it and go forward.

Just thought I'd update on this. We ended up re-doing it at cost. We had a nice conversation about it and they agreed that they should have caught it, and weren't surprised it was wrong because it does happen on occasion. Worked out about as good as I could have hoped.