• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you install?

DirtyD

Our local racetrack whats to paint the back of one of there grandstands.. i suggested wrapping and framing with a banner or lots of substrates, but they are dead set on painting there logo on there.. I told them them that it might not work that well etc. etc. So if you were to apply paint mask or any vinyl to use as a paint mask; I was looking at Oracals "grey" paint mask. How would you install it on this corrugated metal. Bridge and heat in or install in every corrugate. The corrugate is .5" deep. or would you do something entirely different.. Just doing the logo as big as possible.. Attached is a rough proof.. I also thought about riveting .040 up there

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• grandstand.jpg
    grandstand.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Grandstand_Rough.jpg
    Grandstand_Rough.jpg
    646.4 KB · Views: 219

DirtyD

I am doing a paper pattern for for the track walls and pouncing that.. just didnt think that would work well on this.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
wouldn't use a mask.
pounce, project, grid
all three are easy for a painter

^^ That's the ticket. ^^ Half inch is nothing.

Some things just need to be handled in the correct fashion and not take an easy way out, which will probably produce unfavorable outcomes. :covereyes:

J Hill Designs

I am doing a paper pattern for for the track walls and pouncing that.. just didnt think that would work well on this.
since corr is only 1/2" pouncing should go quite well, would probably just need to 'finish off' some missing parts after pounce.
would be MUCH easier than trying to lay mask (and the mask would most likely fail and you'd have under-running etc.

DirtyD

The mask I told them pry wouldnt stick because of how hold and flaky the paint is already up there.. They dont care - and they do want to take the cheap way out.. I am not painting just providing patterns..

Thanks J and Gino

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The mask I told them pry wouldnt stick because of how hold and flaky the paint is already up there.. They dont care - and they do want to take the cheap way out.. I am not painting just providing patterns..

Thanks J and Gino

Old and flakey wouldn't matter, because before anyone puts a mask or a pounce or anything else up there, that wall would hafta be prepped by removing the oxidized paint, scraping and priming and last..... at least one good coat of top coat, if not two. Then, you layout your patterns.

DirtyD

Old and flakey wouldn't matter, because before anyone puts a mask or a pounce or anything else up there, that wall would hafta be prepped by removing the oxidized paint, scraping and priming and last..... at least one good coat of top coat, if not two. Then, you layout your patterns.

I know. but all I'm doing is providing the patterns - it's up to them how they want to prep and paint, I've informed them, it's outta my hands at a certain point

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I know. but all I'm doing is providing the patterns - it's up to them how they want to prep and paint, I've informed them, it's outta my hands at a certain point

Ohhhh, so they're having some racetrack flunky who can paint lines around the bathroom stalls and paint bollards gonna paint that. You might ask them if they need any assistance in prepping the wall and picking the proper paints for longevity.

DirtyD

So race track owners are just as cheap as racers

Sometimes yes, I know what they are trying to do, they want to start updating little by little and getting this up there isn't a permanent fix for them, it's just something up for the time being..

It looks like a paper pattern pounced is best option.. thanks

2B

knowing the amount of time / effort needed to properly prep a surface for paint and with this being a "short term".

IMO a banner would be easier / faster and cheaper in the end. but hey what do we know were just sign people

Bigdawg

Just Me
knowing the amount of time / effort needed to properly prep a surface for paint and with this being a "short term".

IMO a banner would be easier / faster and cheaper in the end. but hey what do we know were just sign people

I second that. Paint will be a PITA for all involved while a banner would save both time and money. I would try hard to steer them that way.

signbrad

Mask and paint is actually not difficult on corrugation

This is an easy job if all you need to do is supply the client a pounce pattern. The pattern will transfer easily to half-inch corrugation, especially if they use a loaded pounce bag. Any competent painter can follow the lines.
It would be interesting to see the job after they finish.

Hand lettering corrugation is easier using brown fitches. They are softer than a normal bristle fitch and are great for metal corrugation. These brushes are sometimes called 'speed fitches' or 'blitz fitches.' They are for oil based lettering colors.

I have lettered lots of corrugated metal over the years, mostly semi trailers, both by hand lettering and by mask-and-spray.
I would never attempt laying a vinyl mask, but using liquid mask and spraying with automotive colors results in high quality, long-lasting sign work. The mask is applied with a thick nap roller, two coats minimum, and easily covers corrugation. A pounce pattern transfers well and knifing is easy. Adjoining colors can be applied by masking, spraying, then re-masking, re-cutting and spraying additional colors. The maskant does not harm fresh paint.

Brad in Kansas City

visual800

I also would classify owners with drivers of cars. They have huge dreams ans small pockets. as a secondary option I owuld put a big *** banner on there since they wont go for the painted version. You couldnt pay me emuff to paint on that surface

Banner would be tons cheaper and alot quicker and would last at least 2 years!

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
If it is really a short term idea. Then, a banner is their better bet. BUT. I know how these kind of people think. And their "short term" idea will be up there for decades. Also... you should re-design so that the red and black are not touching....It looks bad.