• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you Remove?

Greenlight signs

Customer wants me to install new lettering on his new dump trailer, well who ever had it before him i guess decided not to remove the vinyl but to use black spray paint to cover them up. I have a decal remover eraser wheel that i'm going to try and use but if that doesn't work what would you suggest besides the basic heat gun and scraper?

Attachments

• 20200225_065413.jpg
    20200225_065413.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 307
  • 20200225_065429.jpg
    20200225_065429.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 339

Christian @ 2CT Media

I would tell them it will have to be stripped and repainted if he wants it to look right.

If they want to move forward and are not worried, I would get alot of rapid remover, soy degreaser, and elbow grease and get to it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In the process of doing quite a few of these right now. Mostly 30 & 40 yarders. They took them and had them sandblasted and then repainted. I'm not about to do bodywork, detail work or anything else except letter a truck. If someone got a trailer cheap, because it's used and no one bothered to take the lettering off, that's not my concern....... not on a dump trailer. After one use, they're all boogered up. Who cares ??

MikePro

i wouldn't bother with the "proper way" to do this, eraser wheel will grind up the painted finish, as would any scraper tools, and any of the "cover-up" paint remaining would make it look like as scuffed-up mess anyways.

+1 to using ACM panels getting more bang-for-buck than elbow grease & heartache

Greenlight signs

i wouldn't bother with the "proper way" to do this, eraser wheel will grind up the painted finish, as would any scraper tools, and any of the "cover-up" paint remaining would make it look like as scuffed-up mess anyways.

+1 to using ACM panels getting more bang-for-buck than elbow grease & heartache
would you cut them to fit in between the uprights or just attach a sheet to each side with rivets?

MikePro

i think it would look cheap as one giant-panel, idk. dealer's choice here i guess.

larger panel = easier layout for graphics.
smaller panels = subtle touch-up, but more work.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You ain't gonna get rivets to hold. You'll probably need to weld it fast. Therefore, there goes ACM out the window..... right into the dumpster.

Greenlight signs

i think i'm going to suggest if we cant get the lettering off, then cover it with black vinyl, that way we are not having to cut panels to fit each section. like Gino said it's going to get damaged no matter which way you look at it.

rvolkers

you will never make enough money on this (time and materials to remove) - to do it the RIGHT way bring it to a body shop have them strip it and repaint - then you do your thing!
OR
make a new black panel to cover the area - screw it on - then letter it

rjssigns

You ain't gonna get rivets to hold. You'll probably need to weld it fast. Therefore, there goes ACM out the window..... right into the dumpster.

Nah, rivets are okay just can't use the wimpy ones. Did a dump trailer with ACM panels. Client said it's going to get hammered. Welded structure between the vertical ribs then attached panels with Lexel and 3/16" diameter x 5/8" head stock car panel rivets.